Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > :: Archive :: > Challenges Archive > Challenge Archive 2020
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2019, 12:42 AM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

Ozone's Official Praise Queen

Default CHALLENGE #3 - Creative Photo Treatments

All members that participate, can everyone PLEASE ensure that you read all the rules for this challenge so that you can claim your challenge points. Thank you!

Hi everyone a very HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all! Hope this year brings you all lots of love, good health and happy times!

For this month's Creative Photo Treatments, we are going to explore how we can use TEXTURES to creatively change the look of our photos.

I LOVE working with photo effects and have several applications that I use to give my photos different effects like turning it into a sketch, applying a painterly effect to them or adding grunge. This is my addiction when it comes to digital scrapbooking! !!! But I must say, using textures to add various effects is really a fun and EASY thing to do ......... all you need is a bit of time, PATIENCE, and giving yourself permission to simply PLAY! Combining several textures together can sometimes become frustrating, so when that happens, just save your file and walk away from it! Go read a book or go for a walk! Above everything else, for this challenge I want you to TAKE YOUR TIME! You have all month to complete the challenge, so have some fun and just play!

Sometimes when I don't feel like scrapping a layout, I will work with photos instead, applying different effects with different applications or textures. I save these altered photos to a folder so I can go back to it and grab one when I need it, when I am creating a page.

Textures, or overlays as they are also known as, can be used to add texture effect to a photo, like a grungy brick wall, add painterly splats to a photo, or change the colour tones of the photo. Blending modes play an important part in working with texture files, some textures look better with a darker blend, while others look better in the lighter range. Mixing and matching not only texture files but also different blending modes will create endless possibilities, the sky truly is the limit. Start with just a couple and play around, then add another. As you play, turn your texture layers on and off, if you don't like it, delete it. Move onto adding another texture and so on. Of course you can sometimes get carried away so always keep in mind what type of effect you are really after. Do you want grungy, painterly, dreamy, mystical etc etc.

Texture files are typically jpg file formats and can be readily found on the internet, simply Google textures overlays! There are plenty of free ones to experiment with and there are plenty to purchase as well! I have some textures that I purchased years ago from Florabella and still use them to this day! By the way, textures and/or overlays, can be used in Photoshop, Elements, Paintshop and probably a lot of other software programs. Here are some links if you want to have a look at some:

OSCRAPS - Textures and Overlays

Florabella Collection - Textures and Overlays

Daily Texture - Jai Johnson

2 Lil’ Owls Studio - Denise Love

You will also find some freebies and a lot of helpful tutorials and youtube videos on these sites, detailing how to use textures/overlays your photo as well.

Here is an example of how different textures can be used together and how you can use the blend mode and opacity of each layer to give your photo the effect you are after.

My original photo is of a cut rose from my garden. The rose itself has a beautiful antique gold/apricot colour tone, so I wanted to make it look more vintage and softer.

Notes about the layers above:
Layer 1 - This is the original photo, I did do a Levels adjustment on it first, just to bring out the contrast a bit more.
Layer 2 - A Linen texture from Florabella. Have had this texture for years and it is one of my all time favourites! It gives the photo such a soft linen texture to it! I have enlarged the areas of the photo for you so that you can see the linen effect up close. Of course I play around with the blend modes all the time but I finally settled on using a Hard Light blend mode and turned it down to 75% Opacity. I used a mask to mask out the centre of the photo as I wanted the rose petals to stand out just little bit more.
Layer 3 - A texture from Jai Johnson called Autumn Gems. This texture made the outer parts of the photo a little bit darker, hiding some of the background itself. You can tell by the darker colours on the texture file that the edges of your photo will naturally be a bit darker as well. I used a Hard Light blend mode and adjusted the Opacity to 75%, again I used a mask to brush away the texture lightly from the centre.
Layer 4 - This Scratched Vintage I texture from Florabella is semi opaque and has a lovely rough, but soft, texture to it. I set the blend mode to Multiply and left the Opacity to 100%.
Layer 5 - The final texture I used was Vintage Mink by Florabella, to give my photo a more pronounced vignette effect. The blend mode is Multiply and again I left the Opacity at 100%

Notes:
- This is NOT the layer sequence that I started out with........ I move the texture layers back and forth a lot. When I am finally happy with it I call it finished! lol!
- Be aware not to sharpen your finished photo too much after applying your textures, especially if you use an action to create your full resolution jpg file of your finished layout. Some actions have a sharpening adjustment in them which could make your photo look a bit too sharp on your layout. I don't sharpen my finished photo, I use them in my layout and then run an action to flatten all the layers which also adds a sharpening layer which I can then adjust.

Here is my finished page:

Credits are in the gallery.

How about creating your own textures???
If you are anything like me, you all have those photos that are just not perfect, perhaps they are blurred, or they just aren't sharp enough to use for a layout. Well turn them into a texture, so easy to do, here is how you do it.

I am soooooo looking forward to seeing what you creative people out there will do for this challenge!!!

RULES:
- Use a texture/overlay(s) on your photo to change it in some way. Please tell me in this thread just what texture you used and why you chose it.
- Please use 80% Oscraps products that are currently in the store.
- Non-Oscraps products or retired O designer products can be used whether the designer is selling elsewhere or not.
- You need to credit all the products used on your layout.
- Your page must be posted in the Challenge 3 gallery by midnight PST midnight January 31st, 2020 and linked back to this thread. HOW TO LINK LAYOUT TO CHALLENGE THREAD.
- And do not forget to update the CURRENT MONTH'S TRACKING THREAD to be eligible for your coupon.

Last edited by wombat146; 01-01-2020 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:58 AM
The O is awesOme

Fantastic Challenge Ona!
I love to use textures in my pages! In this page I used 2 textures in Topaz Texture Effects. One for color and one for the grainy grung,snowy effect! My page was very smooth! With the texture it felt better!

Old 01-04-2020, 01:03 PM

Occasionally logs off

Love this challenge, thanks for hosting.

I only used the texture of the background paper, I copied the photo, kept one in color, the other in black in white. Next I played with different blending modes, like overlay. ;uminosity, linear light etc. In the end I did add another backgrounpaper, to get the exact color I wanted.
I must admit I don't know all that much about phototreatment, but I like it, and therefore I play a lot with it, until i get the result I want.

Creativity is intelligence having fun
Albert Einstein

Last edited by Jeannette; 01-05-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:34 PM
I love the "O"

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

My kind of challenge too !

Old 01-05-2020, 11:56 AM

Thank you for this great challenge, Ona!
This layout need a grungy texture, istn't it?
I chosed 2 textures for the background by 2 Lil’ Owls Studio. I colored them and played with blending modes and opacity .
For the skull, of course, I chosed a texture too and played with blending mode.
It was fun to play with textures.

Last edited by Traumelfe; 01-07-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:10 PM
On my way!

Here's one from me. Great challenge, Ona. I love textures!

Old 01-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Outta This World!

Thanks for the challenge! Creditsin Gallery

I used the splatter filter to make the ice sculptures look frosty and then added a Texturizer filter.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:26 PM
Outta This World!

Texture on Photo:
Joanne Brisebois: DRC 8, Photographie, 12x12 Overlays vol 2 and grunge overlay from my Photoshop Artistry course. I used these because I was inspired by the snowy day and his attire and attitude.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Occasionally logs off

A Scrap of Simplicity by Lynne Anzelc

**I began with a poster edges filter on the photo, duplicated the photo then used a hard light filter. I painted the photo softly with cheek color, eye color and lip color.

Last edited by wombat146; 01-10-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:31 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

Fantastic pages so far ladies!! you have all been very creative with your textures!!! yay!