Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > :: Challenges - Current :: > Designer Challenges
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Designer Challenges Here you will find our Designer Spotlight Challenges, and designer based challenges

Old 11-06-2016, 09:12 AM
The O is awesOme

Default NBK Technique Challenge 11/21 – 11/27

Welcome to the NBK Technique Challenge!
I get a lot of PM and emails about photo treatments and the use of filters in photoshop. So I decided that this week Technique Challenge we are going to focus on an Artistic Filter (Dry Brush) and on a masking technique with a layermask to blend parts of a photo back in.
So you can say that there are two steps in our workflow in this tutorial and for our Challenge.
- First the preparation of the photo with the filter(s) on it.
- And second the Blending/painting of (parts) from that photo back in with a Layermask.
Note in this tutorial I worked with CS6! (So that is what you are going to see on the screenshots) I know that if you have the latest versions of PSE you can follow it too! I will give you some info after the Photoshop tutorial so you can work with it too!

To get a kind of inky/grungy effect like this I used the Dry Brush from the Artistic Filters in the Filter menu.

So open up your photo in a new document in Photoshop! Look at the photo you are going to use! Note don’t use a photo with a low resolution, or a very busy unclear photo. I used a portret photo with no distractions behind it! I made a Smart Object from my photo (rightclick on the layer-Convert to Smart Object) , I did that to be able to go back later and change anything in the settings if needed! It is an option but you don’t have do to that if you never work with Smart Objects!

Go to filters-Filter Gallery - Dry Brush.
Go to the sliders on the right and play with the values until you get the best result for your photo! Best is to zoom in and see your results!

Then go to select all, or Ctrl A on the selected layer to select the whole canvas. You can see the marching ants around your canvas! Now we are going to copy the selection, Ctrl C and then we will create a new Folder and a layermask to it.

Alt click on the layermask so we can enter the layermask and we are going to paste the selection we made= Ctrl V. That will turn it into Black and White.

This photo needs a bit of contrast (more Black and White) Go to Image- Adjustments-Curves = Ctrl M.
Go into the input and move the sliders. The black to the right to darken and the White to the left to brighten. Don’t be afraid to get a dramatic contrast for an artsy effect here!

Now we are going to invert that layermask= Ctrl I.

Be sure that your layermask/paintlayer is in the group/folder!
Uncheck the colored photo under this layer so we don’t see it anymore.
Now we are going to paint with Black on this White layermask to blend the photo back in. So we can use any Black stamp or brush to reveal parts of the photo! ( Tip if you want something that’s colored in NBK collections for this then you can convert it to black before using it here and save it in the folder) you can use black brushes, masks, fonts etc for this.

Just open the file and place it you can transform and rotate and replace it, make it smaller, and move it all over your canvas. You can even copy them and use them twice. You can open several new (black)files and play with them until you get a result you like. The result will depend on what you will use for this. An inky stamp will give an inky effect, some grunge a grungy effect. With text you get a great effect too!

Now with this done you can build up your page! Leave it Black and White or ad some colors with papers or embellishments! You still have the original colored photo to work with too! That’s all up to you! So many possibilities to make an artsy page with this base!
I started adding some color here to build up my page!

As I promised for the PSE version: It works a bit more simple and you can't group anything or use a folder, but you can make use of some artsy brushes for the coolest results, painted in on a layermask.
I can't show you the screenshots since I don't have PSE on my computer but I think you can follow this very easily:

1 Open main image in PSE and place it above a paper background. Desaturate the image (CTRL+SHIFT+U) Use Levels to give the photo some dramatic contrasting.
2. On the image layer, CTRL+ Click on the thumbnail view in the layers palette OR just press CTRL+A - this selects the image and will place marching ants around it.
3. Still working on the desaturated image layer, go to Filter>Filter Gallery and apply the filter. (See the photoshop tutorial)
4.Copy the photolayer
5.Add a layermask filled with black. (You can copy this layer a couple of time to have more brush options on a seperate layer)
6. Start painting with white and use artsy brushes for a cool result

And here is my finished page:

I used the NBK Art and Journal and Focus Collection to make this page

So here is my challenge use this base as a starter for your page! If you have questions PM me and I will help you as good as I can!

For future Challenges we would like to know what program you are using for making your pages! Could you be so kind to tell us that in the Challenge forum with your posted page! Something like PSE 10 or CS6 or CC2015 will do! Thanks that will help us with making tutorials or info on techniques! Thanks so much!

Some pages by our Creative Team:

AnikA

Marie Claire

Ona

Prize: You can win a 4 $ coupon in my Technique Challenge!
Rules:
• Make a layout with this base tutorial using the Dry Brush and a layermask to paint parts of the photo back in.
• Layout needs to contain 75% of NBK Design products.
• Layouts need to be uploaded to NBK GALLERY by Sunday 27 November 2016 11.59 pm CST time.
• Layouts need to be linked back to this thread by Sunday 27 November 2016 11.59 pm CST time.
• A tally of the number of layouts for every NBK challenge for each person over the month will be done by Astrid. The person with the highest count will win a 10 $ Coupon to the NBK Design Shop.
Have fun!!!!

Last edited by margje; 07-08-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:52 AM
I love the "O"
Off The Hook

I hope you will have fun and can learn something new

my gallery
Old 11-21-2016, 03:33 AM
Marie-Claire

Off The Hook

What a fun tutorial ! Thank you Margje !
I had fun testing this in PSE ...
you can find the detailled tutorial on my blog : http://www.clindoeilartistic.fr/util...pinceau-a-sec/ in french

Marie-Claire aka Clin d'oeil | My Blog
My Blog
| My O'Gallery My O'Gallery | My Pinterest : My Pinterest |
My FB My Facebook
Old 11-21-2016, 03:39 AM

Ozone's Official Praise Queen

Thanks a lot for this new technique challenge...
And thanks Marie Claire for your tuto in french.

I scrapped for : OSCRAPS
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Feeling Owsome at the O!

Ozone's Official Praise Mama

Great idea and awesome technoque, thanks for your explanation Marianne!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:58 AM
The O is awesOme

Your welcome! if there are questions let me know! here, or PM me! looking forward to see your pages!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Obviously Obsessed!

LOVE this technique but still confused. I erased away parts of my photo and then read here where it says to blend the photo back in. I really need to check out YouTube on how to use layermasks!!! I love what I see folks doing with them!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:54 PM
Official Occupant

I had fun playing but am using PSCC and I'm new at it. I didn't know how to 'create a new folder and add a layer mask to it'. I did muddle on and I'm happy with my finished one. I can't post here because I used a texture from another site. Thanks for the tut. I will keep trying and will recheck to see if I can learn about folders.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:00 PM
TrishD
Occasionally logs off

Great tutorial. Thank you Marianne

https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/sh...autumn&cat=500
Old 11-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Only just got here

I am delighted with this technique! Love sets this designer. Thanks for the tutorial, per call, for the inspiration)))