Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > :: Misc-O-llaneous :: > Healthy O's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Healthy O's A place for us to talk about getting healthy, support one another, offer tips, tricks, complain, whatever we need on our journey to good health and weight loss.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 PM

Official Occupant

Default RECIPES: Keto/Low Carb

This is a thread for low carb/Keto recipes. May I suggest that we only post recipes we've actually tried and LIKE. I suggest this because there are TON of great-SOUNDING recipes out that that are just horrid. I know because I think I have tried them all!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:31 PM

Official Occupant

Rolls

Since I started eating low carb a couple of years ago, I've been searching for a recipe that resulted in something that could be used for sandwiches. All have failed miserably, but I stumbled on one this weekend I tried - and was shocked! I'll be making more this week and seeing how they do once they've been frozen.

A couple of comments:

1. The recipe author calls these "bagels". As a Jewish lady with family born and bred (no pun intended) in New York City, I can tell you these in NO WAY resemble bagels, other than their shape. Real bagels are shiny crisp on the outside and delectably chewy on the inside, because they are boiled and then baked. Most bagel shops in the States - even those that claim to be "New York" bagels are really just bread rolls. Having made that disclaimer, these held their shape, really, really well and taste very good.

2. I don't like when a bread recipe tastes eggy, which is very common with low carb breads, so I increased the almond flour to 2 cups and the amount of baking powder by another other half teaspoon. They came out a bit heavy, so I'll continue to experiment with the amount of baking powder.

3. This recipe is very easy and based on the "fathead pizza" recipe using shredded mozzarella cheese, cubed brick cream cheese, egg, almond flour and baking powder. Be sure to use almond "flour" and not almond "meal" - which is almonds ground with the skins on. The meal is a completely different texture - it might work, but actual almond flour is much easier to work with.

4. Basically mix the almond flour and the baking powder together with a whisk. Don't skip this step and whisk well because the baking powder clumps when it mixes with the almond flour.

5. Separately, melt the mozzarella and cream cheese in the microwave. Then mix well, add the dry ingredients and then the egg. The cheese mixture will be hot out of the microwave and if you add the egg first you could cook it and you don't want that.

6. This is the hardest part of the recipe (the same goes for any fathead based dough - but very much worth the effort): When you first incorporate the dry ingredients and the egg, the mixture will be very very sticky. Start by mixing with a spatula or wooden spoon, mixing as best as you can. Then get your hands in there mix and knead as if you were making any other bread dough. It will be very obvious that the flour is not fully incorporated but after a few minutes (I didn't time it, but it took maybe 3-4 min) a miracle will occur. As the cheese mixture cools it starts to get pliable and less sticky and low and behold you will have a workable bread dough. If it seems like the mixture is too stiff, simply put the entire mixture in the microwave for 5-10 seconds at a time until the cheese melts again.

7. The rest of the recipe is easy - pull the dough into 6 lumps; roll each in your hands to make "logs" and then form into circles, pinching the ends together. As you can see, I didn't bother to be too particular about the shape. I brushed mine with a little butter and sprinkled with Kosher salt before baking.

8. Almond flour goes from done to BURNT very quickly, so be sure to watch them. Mine needed the full 14 minutes, but any longer and they would literally have been toast. .

9. I had one warm from the oven the day I made them; the next morning, sliced and toasted; and tonite I made a ham and swiss sandwich. Outstanding! Almond flour is very filling and I was totally full, even tho the "bagels" are rather small.

I'd love to hear what you think if you try them. I'm pretty confident in saying this is the best low carb "bread" recipe I've ever found. As the recipe is written, there are 5 net carbs in each.

The recipe is here.

Last edited by Vicki Robinson; 05-29-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:38 PM
O sO silly
Obviously Obsessed!

Looks great. I will keep an eye on here but this is one reason I am not trying keto yet because it's just too difficult and expensive for me to get Almon flour here in Japan. I love bread or pizza and I fear I won't last long if I can't make things I like the keto way.

But still, I will enjoy this thread I think. Thank you for sharing!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:09 PM
Sharron
Ozone's Official Oracle

oooooo....can't wait to try these. TFS
My Gallery
Instagram
: lambcrops
My Facebook
Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Feeling Owsome at the O!

Ozone's Official Praise Mama

Thanks for the recipe!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Sharron
Ozone's Official Oracle

Nini, I am pretty sure I have read that you can make your own almond flour by grinding up almonds! You might want to Google that .
My Gallery
Instagram
My Facebook
Old 05-30-2017, 05:02 PM
O sO silly
Obviously Obsessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharLamb View Post
Nini, I am pretty sure I have read that you can make your own almond flour by grinding up almonds! You might want to Google that .
Oh OK. I didn't think of that. Will definitely google that! Thank you!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:35 PM

Off The Hook

I made a quick and simple bread-ish type of snack today. I say bread-ish b/c it is not quite bread but it had a porous firm texture kind of like bread. This is a microwave mug cake that you mix all ingredients in a coffee cup and then microwave for 90 seconds. When done, it slipped easily out of the cup into a small bowl where I poured some Torani sugar free syrup overtop (cinnamon brown sugar flavor). It makes a single serving, 5 carbs. You could also slice it, which I will do next time and put a fried egg overtop.
  • 20 grams almond flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 10 grams butter
Old 05-30-2017, 05:50 PM

Official Occupant

Pound Cake recipe

As promised, here is the link the Pound Cake recipe - I'm linking you up to the Pin on my interest board so that you can re-pin it for reference.

Couple of things:
  1. the picture you see from the recipe author is actually a double recipe - which they disclose in their blog post. You should read their post for any other comments they might have made.
  2. there are lots of ads on their blog post - you'll need to scroll past them for the recipe
  3. The first time I made the recipe I used granulated Swerve. It came out fine, but the granulated version gets crystally in baked products when they are refrigerated. The second time I make it with the powdered Serve and didn't have the crystal problem. Either way tasted fine.
  4. That second time I made the pound cake I brought it (along with some strawberries and homemade whipped cream) to a dinner party. Everyone loved it and I never mentioned it was low carb

Here's the link: http://pin.it/5bmPk7l

Old 05-30-2017, 10:03 PM
Sharron
Ozone's Official Oracle

Thanks Rae and Vicki. Can't wait.
My Gallery
Instagram
My Facebook