Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > :: Misc-O-llaneous :: > Healthy O's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Healthy O's A place for us to talk about getting healthy, support one another, offer tips, tricks, complain, whatever we need on our journey to good health and weight loss.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:52 AM

Official Occupant

Default DNA testing?

Anyone here had their DNA tested? My daughter gave a 23 And Me kit for Christmas. It is labelled for Health and Ancestry. She had ordered one for herself and got me one too. She is slim and eats a very healthy diet but is frustrated that her cholesterol is high. The assumption is that it is due to some genetic factors, so she wants to find out and thought I might want to do the same. My sister had a DNA test done when they first came out as she has several chronic health problems too. The ancestry part is secondary, I guess. We can trace our family tree back several generations, so I really wouldn't expect any surprises there. If you have had one done, did you get any useful information?
Old 01-25-2019, 04:02 PM

Off The Hook

My kids game me an Ancestry Kit last Christmas (2017) and they also got one. Its interesting to see how alike & different the results have been.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:01 PM
Elaina/aka Nightshadow
Occasionally logs off

My DH and I were tempted to buy these for ourselves but there have been several reports out lately that these do-it-yourself DNA testing kits are not very accurate. How disappointing!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:05 PM

Official Occupant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadow View Post
My DH and I were tempted to buy these for ourselves but there have been several reports out lately that these do-it-yourself DNA testing kits are not very accurate. How disappointing!
I read an article last fall that discussed the major kits, I think there were 3, and why one might get different results depending on which kit you used. Something about the different algorithms each company used and which part of your DNA their particular methods focused on. It sounded very logical, but it could have just been a bunch of baloney.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 AM
The Loopy-O

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

My IL's had done their's through Ancestry a couple of years ago and it was really neat to see the results. For Christmas last year, they got kits for their other son (my DH will not do it b/c of privacy concerns since once they have your DNA you basically sign away your rights to it) and his DD, and me and my son. My DD wanted to get hers done too and got a kit for her birthday.
I know my oral history- my great- and grandparents were Italian immigrants at the turn if the 20th century. My DNA showed that 88% is from Southern Italy and the remainder from the surrounding areas which tracks with the oral history.
What fascinated me was comparing my kids' DNA results. My DS looks/acts much more like my DH and his side of the family and his DNA was closer to my IL's than mine. My DD is a mini-me- and resembles my mom's side of the family strongly. Her DNA was much closer to mine.

The 23 and Me health profile is interesting to me since so many Lyme patients, such as my family, who are not able to get better or only moderately better after years of treatment have a MTHFR gene mutation. The 23 and Me can be used to look for that but since we had the Ancestry kits given to us, we might never know if that is what our issue is.

Fascinating stuff!

~~Chris~~ My Gallery

Old 01-27-2019, 09:40 PM

Ozone's Official Praise Queen

I want to do this. I've had 2 dna tests done for health reasons

MTHFR - problems with detoxing and b vitamins - tested due to multiple health issues

BRCA - breast cancer. Mostly got that one done for my sister's benefit since I already had the cancer. Luckily for her it was negative.

Since learning about the MTHFR gene and what it does, I'm super interested to see what other variations I might have.

My Gallery :: My Blog

Old 01-28-2019, 05:33 AM
The Loopy-O

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

I had BRCA done since I was under 45 when Dxd. Thankfully, I was neg on that too. Huge relief for Caitlyn's sake.

I call the MTHFR gene an expletive (sound it out!)

~~Chris~~ My Gallery

Old 01-28-2019, 06:54 AM
Diane

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

I would not do that. no special reason, just don't see any advantage in it.
But I would love to see someone sending in the same DNA twice, and see if it would give the same result!

Last edited by Madi; 01-29-2019 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:42 PM

Official Occupant

My sister, who has multiple health problems, says she has tested positive for the MTHFR gene mutation. I'm curious to see how I test on that one. She says it is a big factor for her health but from what I have read, up to 50% of the population has one of the gene variants and go their whole lives with no ill effects. I'm sure the reality is somewhere in between.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM

Ozone's Official Praise Queen

I lived 30+ years of my life with no ill effects whatsoever. I think the key with these gene variations is that "something" happens and it gets triggered and all of a sudden you're affected.

We have 3 things that we believe could have turned mine on:

- Parasite (diagnosed by Dr but improperly treated)
- Tick infestation - Chris, was reminded of this recently
- Mold exposure

And, yes, I call that MTHFR the same as you Chris.

My Gallery :: My Blog