Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > :: Challenges - Archive :: > Challenges Archive > August 2014 Challenge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 05:52 AM
The Loopy-O

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

Default Challenge 4- LYRIC

I think most of the regulars here at the O know that I am 100% Renthead. If you aren't sure what that is, it is someone who is a huge fan and follower of the play, Rent. My best friend (even way more of a Renthead than I am, truth!!) and I have been seeing the play since 1997. The play resonates within us, as with so many other fans, due to its themes of friendship, of love, of hope, and for living for today since you never know what the next day will bring.

Jonathan Larson. the playwright who wrote Rent, also wrote a play called tick, tick...BOOM! It was a monologue that he performed in 1990. In some ways, this is a "prequel" to Rent although it was not produced or performed Off-Broadway until 2001. In ttB!, the autobiographical character of Jonathan bemoans that he is turning thirty and has not yet written his One Big Play and is considering up that dream under pressure from his best friend and from his girlfriend.
He states:

Quote:
I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at the piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember, and do the same thing every morning for the rest of my life.
His friend and girlfriend ask:

Quote:
How do you know when it's time to let go?
http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/ti...cantdecide.htm

Later on in the play, Jonathan's best friend, Michael reveals that he is HIV Positive. This being in the late 1980's, HIV/AIDS was a death sentence. In the haunting song, Why, Jonathan sings:

Quote:
With only so much time to spend
Don't wanna waste the time I'm given
"Have it all, play the game" - some recommend
I'm afraid, it just may be time to give in
He reflects some more and decides:

Quote:
I think,
Hey, what a way to spend a day
Hey, what a way to spend a day
I make a vow - right here and now
I'm gonna spend my time this way
I'm gonna spend my time this way
http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/ticktickboom/why.htm

He, then, in his real life goes on to write and get Rent produced. Sadly, he died of a aortic aneurism from undiagnosed Marfan Syndrome on Opening Night, so he never got to see what an impact his work had on so many people. Whenever I listen to ttB!, I get chills thinking about how he had so much to offer the musical world yet never had the chance. But at least he was able to stick with his dream of writing music that people will listen to and remember.

Now that you know the basic history of ttB! and Rent, we are now ready for our Lyric challenge. I want you to think about what you would do if you knew you had limited time on Earth. Of course, we all do in some sense, but what dreams do you have? Is it something big like writing play or earning a doctorate, or something fun on a Bucket List, like jumping out of an airplane? What would make you give up that dream or what would make you stick with it?

ETA: As I tried to prepare my own page for this challenge, I got a bit stuck. I didn't think that I have any Big Dreams, nor much at all on my Bucket List. So I emailed my BFF who knows me better than I do most of the time to ask her if I did. Her suggestion was this:

Quote:
Just an aside -- I love the concept -- but I think it could also be on a smaller scale -- I mean, I don't have a big dream, something really on a bucket list either. I think, in some ways, the "I'm gonna spend my time this way" -- is also about just doing something you love for as long as you can. Like if someone was trying to change you, or trying to convince you to give up the thing you love most, would you? Or would you say that thing you love is what makes you who you are. What can you not see yourself not doing every day or every week for the rest of your life? Just a thought.

Can't wait to see yours! You'll have to share some other so I can see the results!!
See why I adore her? She gets me and helps me in just about all areas of Life.

You can use any of the lyrics I have shared here, or from any of the other songs found here: http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/ticktickboom/why.htm

RULES:
* Scrap a page using lyrics from ttB!. You don't have to use huge blocks of text, but I want to see at least 1-2 lines somewhere on your page.
* You must use 80% Oscraps products.
* Your page must be posted in the Number 4 Gallery by the end of the month and linked back to this thread.
* You must update the monthly tracking thread to be eligible for your coupon.

~~Chris~~ My Gallery

Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 AM
The Loopy-O

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

I understand that this might be a difficult challenge for you. It took me weeks to get my head wrapped around it and I am the one who wrote the challenge! It then took me several different versions and and revisions to get it right. In fact, I just did one more revision *right now.* bwuahahah!!
But what a labor of LOve and I am soooooo happy with how it came out.
So please, don't be intimidated by this. Just read over the lyrics and see what they mean to you.

Some inspiration to get you started:

By me:

By Angela:

By Vera:

You can see there can be a lot of different ways to interpret this and I am truly looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

~~Chris~~ My Gallery

Old 08-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Only just got here

Wow, that is such a moving, sad story. I had no idea about Jonathan Larson. Thank you for sharing that. I have a friend from NYC who loves all musicals but really loves Rent but we have never really talked about it. I hope I am able to complete this challenge. Time just got away from me last month. Ok, the last 6 months...
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 PM

Outta This World!

Very cool challenge! When we were in NYC long ago, we were very lucky to get tickets to Rent for my birthday! We actually were in the second row! It is one of my faves too, and I would always listen to it and sing along on my car rides from Detroit to Chicago.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:34 AM
The Loopy-O

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

Johanna, yeah, it is so sad, he had so much to offer. And it makes the stories of the plays that much more poignant.

Weasel love hearing from other rent heads!

~~Chris~~ My Gallery

Old 08-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Off The Hook

An interesting challenge... I like the words of the song...they mean a few things to me, but then you threw in the thought of having a death sentence and what would you do, and that is a thought I just cannot wrap my head around...

A man I met a week ago, took me to dinner last night... In the week since we first met he has been given an unexpected death sentence... diagnosed with the same cancer that killed my husband 17 years ago... Part of me is screaming NO way... can't do it again, but also realizing he really has no one and needs a friend... thus my thoughts have been in this direction of death...
Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 AM
The Loopy-O

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

Oh that is horrible for you and your friend. I am so sorry to hear that.

It absolutely does not have to be about a death sentence, but perhaps something that you would want to do that you don't give yourself the time to do, something that gets pushed to the bottom the list. Or it could be a line totally taken out of the song that brings some sort of meaning to you. Or it could be something totally symbolic.

Please, do not feel like you are stuck in the parameters of the storyline.

~~Chris~~ My Gallery

Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Off The Hook

Thanks for your comments Chris... There was one line in particular that spoke to me, but it touches on something pretty personal... Will be thinking about it... At the moment I am still pretty much shut down... Lost the drive that had EVERYTHING on it last week... We are still trying to recover the data from it, so everything I do feels really strange...not the normal mode of operation...
Old 08-08-2014, 03:33 PM
On my way!

oh I hope I got this right
I went with lyrics from
http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/ticktickboom/why.htm

here is mine

Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 AM
The Loopy-O

Ozone's One In A MilliOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeyes4you View Post
Thanks for your comments Chris... There was one line in particular that spoke to me, but it touches on something pretty personal... Will be thinking about it... At the moment I am still pretty much shut down... Lost the drive that had EVERYTHING on it last week... We are still trying to recover the data from it, so everything I do feels really strange...not the normal mode of operation...
Feel free to scrap-therapy a page and if you prefer to submit a LO and remove any journaling, that would be fine. Just let me know that you did that so your page can count as having fulfilled the challenge requirements.

I am sorry that this stirred up emotions for you.

And good luck with you computer issues, that is heartbreaking in and of itself.

~~Chris~~ My Gallery