View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Outta This World!

The other webapp that's not bad is Stencil (https://getstencil.com/pricing). It's pretty and easy to use, but free accounts are limited to 10 images/month (which would be plenty for me, since I mostly need to make an occasional computer hint). However, in order to pin anything directly from Stencil, you have to save your image to an account - and I didn't really like the idea of my images residing on their server and then having to go back and delete them. If that doesn't bother you and you don't plan on uploading a lot of text-images to social media, this could be your app. It has extensions for Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Stencil also has fancy backgrounds you can put your text onto, but only a few for free accounts. You can, however, upload your own images, even if not logged in. What I do if I'm using Stencil is make my image not logged in to an account, then take a screenshot with a Firefox extension called Lightshot. Lightshot has an awkward interface, but it can upload its screenshots directly to social media.

As I said, there are a lot of other web apps designed for posting text-images to social media, but Quozio and Stencil were the simplest to use.

Another issue with many similar apps is that until you save your image to an account or hard drive, it's often stored temporarily as a "data-url" (a way of encoding images in html), which cannot be pinned directly to Pinterest, even though it looks like an image in your browser. Because images that can be pinned from the web have to be hosted somewhere, even if only briefly, you want a site that looks like it'll be around for awhile. Stencil looks like it'll be around for awhile. Not so sure about Quozio.

Last edited by hoodsmom; 02-17-2019 at 03:07 PM.