View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 PM
Sharron
Ozone's Official Oracle

SPICY JICAMA STRINGS

Watch this video to see how to Spiralize the jicama. I found it easier to peel it just using a paring knife and my fingers. The skin tends to just peel off (not perfectly) once you get it going. After watching this, I plan to use a big bigger blade. I was surprised to see her do the whole thing at once.

* See note at bottom of instructions

Pre-heat oven to 415º.

Peel a large jicama, and slice in half so it fits on the Spiralizer. Cut enough off the ends so they are pretty flat and even. Spriralize, using a blade that is pretty small (like you'd use for zucchini spaghetti). Cut the strings into 3 to 4" lengths.

Spread the jicama strings onto a large baking sheet. I put my Silpat on the pan to reduce the chance of sticking.

Drizzle olive oil over the strings and toss to coat.

Sprinkle with salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper and chili powder to taste (I went too heavy on the chili and cayenne the first time). Toss again.

Bake 15 minutes then flip (yeh...like THAT ever works), and bake another 10 to 15 minutes, keeping a watchful eye. I burned my first batch.

NOTE
I haven't tried this, but the recipe I'm using offers instructions for crisper strings:
Before baking, blanch the strings in boiling water for a minute, then spread them in an even layer and bake at 450º. I'd REALLY watch them with the temp that high!

These are SO YUMMY...a great side dish with almost anything.
My Gallery
Instagram
: lambcrops
My Facebook

Last edited by SharLamb; 06-06-2017 at 11:54 AM.