Forum :: Oscraps.com

Forum :: Oscraps.com (https://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Entertainment Zone (https://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=489)
-   -   Cutting the cord (https://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38647)

AZK 11-19-2019 09:16 AM

Cutting the cord

Well, I have finally done it. Over the last 2 years I have gone from not understanding how anyone could survive without cable TV, to downgrading my service so that I only receive the local broadcast channels. Even though I have an antenna for the local channels, I kept them because bundling the minimum TV with my internet service was less expensive than internet alone!

I paid for Starz for the few months that Outlander is on, I streamed HBO while Game of Thrones ran its last season, and now that Disney Plus is available here in the USA, I'm thinking of subscribing to that for a few months to catch up on all the offerings they have.

What about you? Are you a traditional cable TV fan, or a lover of streaming services? Which of those are your favorites?

bcgal00 11-19-2019 10:48 AM

If I lived in the US I would not bother with cable, preferring Hulu, Netflix and Amazon. But, being in Canada our Netflix and Amazon isn't anywhere as extensive in content as the US and our Amazon doesn't get much. I would love to have Hulu but it isn't available here.

veer 11-19-2019 12:07 PM

I am not a real TV fan, the TV is always on, but either I am sitting at the PC or I fall asleep. We have the usual cable TV.

vivaartistry 11-24-2019 06:52 PM

Our family has been streaming the last 10 years. I have basic TV with 10 channels (?) only because it's part of the internet bundle. Netflix (we've had this since 2010??) and Hulu. I stopped Amazon as we were not really utilizing it enough to pay for it. We also have PBS Passport since we donate monthly. I'm thinking about Disney Plus since the new Star Wars series is on it...

faerywings 11-25-2019 04:23 AM

we are stuck with a tv bundle at the moment, with Netflix and Amazon Prime tacked on. We want to get rid of the tv part but we are grandfathered in at an intro price so if we drop it, we will never be able to resubscribe at that low cost.
I am getting aggravated by all of the streaming services. By the time they are all available, you are going to need 20 different packages in order to watch what you like :D

scrap-genie 11-25-2019 12:00 PM

We never had a TV until married almost 30 years. Then bought one for FiL's room in nursing home and when he died we brought it home. We now have a really nice one, but only have the "free" channels with rabbit ears. So, none of this is anything I know about. :biggrin:

Madi 11-25-2019 01:19 PM

we have a cable package, that includes about 80 channels. 25 are maybe installed on our tv and we watch 10 of them regularly.
and still some days there is nothing interesting on tv!
Maya has netflix, the family package, so we have access to that too!
more than enough to watch!

zanthia 11-26-2019 10:29 AM

been thinking of cutting the cord as i watch less network tv - most shows i like have ended and would prefer to watch netflix and hbo( Already have hulu with ads and amazon prime) . but if i do my internet skyrockets in price. as i live in an apt i have no choice in carriers.

every few months i do subscribe to netflix or hbo for a month or 2 to catch up on some shows

AZK 11-27-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanthia (Post 619135)
been thinking of cutting the cord as i watch less network tv - most shows i like have ended and would prefer to watch netflix and hbo( Already have hulu with ads and amazon prime) . but if i do my internet skyrockets in price. as i live in an apt i have no choice in carriers.

every few months i do subscribe to netflix or hbo for a month or 2 to catch up on some shows

That's exactly my situation! I had to keep the minimum TV bundle, which is just the network channels, to keep the cost of the internet down. I don't understand the rationale behind that, but it seems to be pretty universal!