Forum :: Oscraps.com

Forum :: Oscraps.com (https://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Entertainment Zone (https://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=489)
-   -   What are you reading in 2019? (https://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37438)

faerywings 01-05-2019 12:26 PM

What are you reading in 2019?

I used to follow all of the book recommendations in the past threads about this. I also used to be on GoodReads.com a lot too. Technically, I am still on there, I just don't keep anything up to date anymore.
But I am always searching for new books and authors so let's discuss what your favorite books are and what you are reading now and then next.

I hadn't been reading much this past year, not anywhere as much as I used too. Over the summer I started re-reading the Harry Potter series (again!) and am halfway through Book 5. For Christmas I got the Michelle Obama autobiography, "Becoming" and I love her so I love the book. (I just got the point where she meets Barack-- not a love at first sight story :D) If she is even half as sweet as she is in the book in IRL, she must be such a great person to be around. I admire her so much.

When I am done with this, I am not sure what I want to pick up next.
So-- tell me, what are you reading?

Jeannette 01-05-2019 01:00 PM

I've started with A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini.
I love to read, and I loved the Harry Potter books. Must have read them 6 or 7 times :).
Time always is an issue, there are so many books in my bookcase I still have to read, and then all those new books that come out.
Michelle Obama's autobiography is on my list. I definately want to read that, but first I will read Down to the woods by M.J. Arlidge. It's the 10th novel he wrote about Helen Grace and I've been looking forward to it for a long time now.

Traumelfe 01-06-2019 01:31 AM

I love the Harry Potter series too. I read them a long time ago.

I got the book "David Bowie A Life" by Dylan Jones for Christmas. I think that's the next book I'll read.:D

marijke 01-06-2019 03:06 AM

I will start with 'My brilliant Friend'
the serie was on the Belgian TV and it is oh so beautiful ...

https://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imageba...0002146012.jpg

BrightEyes 01-06-2019 05:25 AM

i am in the midst of re-reading "Full Disclosure" by Dee Henderson. I will be going back to re-read the whole O'Malley series plus her military and detective series. I have the whole collection except for the last 2 books. Will see about getting the missing ones sometime in the near future. "The Final Shadow" by Kay Hooper is out now so hope to pick it up this week.

I am a voracious reader and like a variety of genres from mystery, romance, detective, fantasy, science fiction and suspense. I don't watch much TV - but spent time reading instead. I am always looking for new authors.

faerywings 01-06-2019 05:56 AM

I am poking around GoodReads, Kay.

Kay Hooper has a bunch of different series, is there one that you would recommend to start with first?

BrightEyes 01-06-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faerywings (Post 597400)
I am poking around GoodReads, Kay.

Kay Hooper has a bunch of different series, is there one that you would recommend to start with first?

To really get to know the characters, I would start with the first book in the "Bishop" - Special Crimes Unit series...Stealing Shadows. She usually writes in a group of three books with connecting titles. Stealing Shadows, Hiding in the Shadows, Out of the Shadows... for example. These are about FBI agents with PSI abilities. She also has a lot of romance books - most written before she started the Bishop series. I like them and have many of them in my collection.

If I find an author I like, I will go their website and print off their book list. I like to read most books in the order they were written. I can use the list to keep track of which books I have and/or which books I have read.

Danesa 01-06-2019 12:15 PM

I am a spy novel junkie! haha I'm just starting to read Red War, by Kyle Mills (Vince Flynn) It's the latest in the Mitch Rapp series. I was heartbroken when Vince Flynn died, in 2013, but so glad that Kyle Mills continued the series.

Another book, I get to start reading, which comes out in two days, from one of my favorite authors, is The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington, by Brad Meltzer.

And, for fun...my girls loaned me their Harry Potter Series (I gave them haha) so I will start reading those at night, so I don't scare myself with my spy books. haha Of course, I may get scaredy cat with Harry too. haha I know I'm probably the ONLY living person who has not read a Harry Potter book yet. Getting ready to remedy that. :)

faerywings 01-07-2019 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrightEyes (Post 597410)
To really get to know the characters, I would start with the first book in the "Bishop" - Special Crimes Unit series...Stealing Shadows. She usually writes in a group of three books with connecting titles. Stealing Shadows, Hiding in the Shadows, Out of the Shadows... for example. These are about FBI agents with PSI abilities. She also has a lot of romance books - most written before she started the Bishop series. I like them and have many of them in my collection.
If I find an author I like, I will go their website and print off their book list. I like to read most books in the order they were written. I can use the list to keep track of which books I have and/or which books I have read.

I *have* to read the books in order, even if it isn't necessary. i tend to be pretty finicky about that. Just a tiny bit. ha!! I feel like have read something of hers before, I just can't remember what. Next time I am at the library I am going to look her up. Thanks!

faerywings 01-07-2019 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danesa (Post 597428)

And, for fun...my girls loaned me their Harry Potter Series (I gave them haha) so I will start reading those at night, so I don't scare myself with my spy books. haha Of course, I may get scaredy cat with Harry too. haha I know I'm probably the ONLY living person who has not read a Harry Potter book yet. Getting ready to remedy that. :)

OMG! You are going to LOOOOOOOVE them. They need to be read more than once. You will pick up things from Book One that reappear in Book 6 or the groundwork for something is set in 2 and then isn't seen again until later on. She is brilliant!

Fun family story: I got the last HP Book on preorder- the day it came was a Saturday and I had plans to take the kids to the lake to swim. We got there, I sat down with the book and told them "Don't drown." :laugh:
I read that book in 2 days!