PDA

View Full Version : Keto - what's for dinner?

VickiStegall
05-18-2017, 11:32 AM
I thought we'd share what a day in the life looks like so we can maybe help with ideas, meal planning, etc.

Yesterday was my day 1 and I did surprisingly well on my macros.

My macros:
Fat - 134 g (76%)
Protein - 75 g (19%)
Carbs - 20 g (5%)

Here's where I ended up:

Fat - 135g (75%)
Protein - 75 g (19%)
Carbs - 25 g (6%)

Coffee with powdered creamer which jacked my carbs for 2g lol it was almost more but I read the nutrition on it and poured it out lol

Udo's oil - 1tbsp
Coconut oil - 1tbsp
Bacon - 8 slices (yum!)

Raspberry acai salad kit which was crazy good but crazy high in carbs due to dried cranberries and blueberries.
Bacon - 8 slices
Rotisserie chicken - 3 oz
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp

Ribeye - 6 oz

1 egg - hard boiled

It wasn't all that out of the box or creative, but I felt very well fed all day long :)

SharLamb
05-18-2017, 12:14 PM
I do Keto less formally than anyone else. If I had to keep track of it all, I would go nuts and fail. So I'm just making sure the ingredients and foods I eat are all very low or no carbs, am still basically following the 2-week intro menus from the Diet Doctor, and I eat when hungry, and stop when satisfied.

The other thing I cannot do, is weigh myself! Seriously. On every diet I've ever been on, weighing myself led to disaster. If I'd lost weight, I'd celebrate by eating off-program. If I'd gained, I'd console myself by eating off-program. My most recent doctor appointment weight will have to suffice as my starting weight. Our health system is all computerized, so my weight is available for me to look at when the time comes.

Anyway, I'm happy to share my food intake for the day, but there won't be any numbers.

Here's the quiche recipe:

Preheat the oven to 450º, and coat a spring-form pan with spray oil.

Saute some bacon pieces and mushroom slices in butter. Combine with
3 beaten (with a fork) eggs
2 handfuls of your favorite shredded cheese (I used cheddar/jack mixture)
1 to 2 cups cottage cheese (I hate cottage cheese, but it is wonderful in this)
any veggies that sound good (shredded zuccini...planned-over asparagus, etc.)
salt and pepper

Pour into prepared springform pan and bake about 30-40 minutes. I really depends on the size of your pan. If it's small, the quiche will be thick, so it may take more time. If it is in a large pan, the quiche will be thin, and take less time. Keep an eye on it!

When done, top with sour cream and avocado (optional, but why wouldn't you???)

Dave and I were totally satisfied after eating 1/4 each, and there's another breakfast waiting for us tomorrow. Dave likes sausage, so I fried up a couple links for him as a side. Tomatoes would also be great with this, and for salsa fans, another possibility for a topping (I think there is Keto-friendly salsa out there, or certainly recipes for it).

bcgal00
05-18-2017, 02:10 PM
I average 10-20 carbs day (some days total carbs, other days net carbs).

No breakfast - I do a 12 hour fast each night to mid morning, only having water and coffee with whipping cream (has the least carbs).

Lunch:
salad greens
2 tbsp ranch dressing (have a homemade recipe I use)
boiled egg
leftover meat
6 grape tomatoes

Dinner:
2 nitrate free smokies
salad greens
parmesan cheese
bacon
cesaer salad (Renee's)

Snack:
15 pepperoni rounds baked in toaster oven
10 assorted gourmet olives

Since starting keto my appetite is less, my cravings are gone and I am drinking a ton of water which includes two big glasses of my homemade electrolyte drink each day.

SharLamb
05-18-2017, 04:33 PM
I'm SO excited about what I did today:
https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/data/514/KetoKupboard_copy.jpg

I also went to Trader Joe's today and got some healthy stuff to put into a few of those canisters. I've found that our pantry areas are way less crowded since we started the purge. Still a ways to go, but each step is rewarding beyond measure. And I do feel blessed that my husband wants to do this too. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have to cook "both ways."

taxed4ever
05-18-2017, 04:33 PM
I don't do breakfast either, don't eat until I am hungry and I try to keep my total carbs under 20grams. Just like Rae I only have water and coffee with whipping cream. 0 carbs in whipping cream and no sugar either who knew :noidea:

Lunch today consisted of a 2 egg omelette, shredded cheddar cheese, mushrooms and ham. With a 1/2 avocado on the side...yummy!!

Dinner tonight will be
Chicken Breast with mayo and parmesan cheese mixed together and spread on top of the chicken breasts bake at 425 for 20 minutes usual recipe has Italian seasoned bread crumbs on top so I just omit the crumbs. Perhaps some Cauliflower rice and Caesar salad with homemade dressing 0 carbs. A glass of white wine of course. :becky:

I do not track macros, never have its just too frustrating for me. I am like Casey and just keep track of my total carbs and rest takes care of itself. Don't overcomplicate things it just gets overwhelming. One thing I do have to get better at is the electrolyte drinking I am bad for not doing that!

taxed4ever
05-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Sharon what a wonderful layout!! Good for you I still have much to get rid of, but DH is not totally converted over to Keto yet. I am working on it, he doesn't ask for Pasta anymore and only wants a potato every once in a while. Its coming LOL.

taxed4ever
05-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Vicki the trick is to stay away from anything prepared, there are usually always hidden carbs and sugar in it. Keep it natural and you will not miss the prepared foods at all!

VickiStegall
05-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Tracking things helps keep me on track. If I don't, I won't get enough fat and will fail or I'll eat too many carbs and fail. Both of which I've done before. If I have to enter it before I eat it, I'll be more conscious of what I'm having and if I really want it or not.

I still find myself getting very hungry off and on, but I can tell that's going to get better. And, today is only day 2.

Shar,
- what is the whipped cream device you mentioned?
- i'm going to try your quiche recipe. I've never had cottage cheese in one but I can imagine it's good.

Rae,
- What are pepperoni rounds?
- What's your electrolyte drink?

VickiStegall
05-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Great layout Shar!

Trudy,
- I"m going to try your chicken recipe.
- Who is casey?

SharLamb
05-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Vicki the trick is to stay away from anything prepared, there are usually always hidden carbs and sugar in it. Keep it natural and you will not miss the prepared foods at all!

...and to read the labels! Couldn't believe how many "healthy" things I picked up (yes, even at Trader Joe's) that were still way too many carbs, and contained sugar.

I may try your whipped cream coffee. I normally enjoy a cup or so of black coffee when I wake up (Dave has been bringing it to me in a carafe IN BED almost every morning of our married life!), but maybe after the initial wake-up "injection," I'll try one with whipped cream. I LOVE my whipped cream dispenser!

Also, I watched a video by "Keto with Kristie," and she admitted that she doesn't worry about getting enough veggies! She used to think you needed two with dinner (not sure about the other meals), but she's down to usually having just one. Veggies have never been high on my list, but I've been increasing my intake (especially since getting the Sprializer), but I may relax since I have Kristie's permission! They are, after all, our biggest source of carbs.

Vickie, the whipped cream dispenser. I got it at Costco, but it is less money at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HF0JO72/ref=asc_df_B01HF0JO724989807/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01HF0JO72&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167123558869&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12975631513190463637&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033294&hvtargid=pla-305459253760 You also need the chargers. It take a new one every time you reload the dispenser. Ours holds a pint of cream.

AFTdesigns
05-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Oh man, I can't NOT eat breakfast. I'd be one pissed off Mama for the rest of the day :D

I don't count macros or eat restrictively any certain way - when I changed my eating habits, I did just that, changed my habits, started eating "better". I do know everything works different for everyone and though!

taxed4ever
05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
Vicki Casey is a woman who does Keto YouTube videos she is a real hoot and has been on Keto for about 3 yrs now I think here is a link to her Videos...https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgWwBHZYlZ9oOs5EoI7CFA. Our very own Rae does some pretty great videos too! Here is her site if you haven't already seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG-hLmy9JxueOzdaUnVvQAg

SharLamb
05-19-2017, 10:37 AM
I also love 2 Keto Dudes podcasts, although they get a little too technical for me sometimes. But fun to listen to them in bed in the morning with my first few cups of coffee. http://2ketodudes.com/#listen

Kristie Sullivan is AWESOME! She has a very sweet demeanor, and seems like a natural teacher. https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/03/31/my-first-30-days-on-zero-carb-by-kristie-sullivan/

Kristie not only has a wonderful and very inspiring testimony, but she now has a cookbook, which I intend to buy!

The Diet Doctor was the place I started, and am into my 2nd week on his two-week challenge. We haven't followed it exactly, but almost. The food has been excellent and easy to make. We were past craving carbs right away, and feel satisfied with way less food than ever in our lives: https://www.facebook.com/search/videos/?q=the%20diet%20doctor

bcgal00
05-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Vicki .....to answer your questions.

pepperoni rounds (not the sticks but the little thin round pepperoni) placed on cookie sheet in oven at 375 (I use a toaster oven at 350) and bake about 8-10 minutes til they start to brown on the edges. I put them on a paper towel lined plate to soak up a bit of the grease b/c I like them to be a bit dryer but you don't have to do that. They are yummy.

my electrolyte drink is a glass of water, about 1/2 ounce of SF flavor (torani or davinci, I like peach or mango), 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp No-Salt (or any salt substitute that has potassium instead of sodium). I have one in the morning and later in the afternoon. I take one with me if I'm out of the house for more than a few hours. Trust me, if you are ever out and about and get the electrolyte cramps in your legs, you'll learn to keep someone on hand. I also keep a few salt packets in my purse if needed b/c in an emergency (muscle cramps) I can usually get a glass of water somewhere and toss in a packet or two of salt. Doesn't taste good but it works to get rid of the cramps. I don't cramp anymore b/c I make sure to replenish all the time but just in case. Better safe than sorry. I also keep a box of chicken bouillon cubes in my car glove box in case I need some extra sodium and want a hot drink instead of the electrolyte replacement drink.

SharLamb
05-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Yesterday was our 48th anniversary, and we went for dinner, with friends, to the Melrose Grill near us, which features awesome rib-eye steaks. I'm not much of a steak-eater, but these really are incredible. We haven't mentioned to friends that we're doing Keto, but they noticed we didn't eat the before-dinner bread. We just said we were saving our appetites for the steak. Then, when ordering, the waiter asked how we'd like our potatoes, and we said we didn't want any. He suggested substituting asparagus, and we accepted! I also ordered a side of the best grilled (& slathered in butter, I could tell!) mushrooms I've ever eaten. Again, there were comments about "no potato!!!!????" For of course the garlic mashed potatoes and baked potatoes at the Melrose are almost famous. Neither Dave nor I felt even tempted or deprived about the bread and potatoes. The steak was as good as anticipated, and especially delicious with those crunchy bits of fat! Guilt-free fat! We also each had a glass of wine...PERFECT.

We invited our friends back to our house for dessert. I had prepared ahead of time a One-Minute-Cupcake using a recipe from Kristie Sullivan. I warned our friends it was an experiment, but didn't tell them it was made with almond and coconut flour and sugar substitute. Glad I warned them. It was disappointing. All that saved it was a generous topping of whipped cream. But I probably won't make them again. At this point, I don't feel a need for sweets, so only did this because it was a celebration.

By the way, until a week ago, I drank diet Pepsi every single day. Haven't had any since May 11, and haven't WANTED any!!!! I can't believe that.

Today I'm feeling light-headed and a little queasy, so maybe I'm finally getting a touch of the "Keto Flu." But it's not bad enough to discourage me. I know what to do...broth...more salt.

My clothes are already beginning to feel looser, AND the swelling in my feet is virtually gone. For years I've been on two kinds of diuretics daily and still had swollen feet. I noticed an improvement right away on Keto, so hesitantly stopped taking the pills. Even without the pills, the swelling has gone down a bit every day. My shoes are loose! Who knew???!!!

Sorry to ramble on so much. Maybe my enthusiasm will curb itself in days to come. But I sort of hope not.

Vicki Robinson
05-19-2017, 11:28 AM
It's very hot here in my corner of CA - over 90 degrees today (WAY over normal temps). So ... we'll be grilling some chicken thighs marinated in a chicken Shwarma blend. Then I'll make a veggie salad - cuke, tomatoes, carrot and radishes with a greek-like vinaigrette.

I have a TON of Low Carb/Keto boards on Pinterest. I'm in the process of re-organizing them, so there's a little overlap right now, but you can take a look here (https://www.pinterest.com/vickir/). Scroll past the digi/art related boards.

SharLamb
05-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Sounds like an awesome dinner, Vicki! Thanks for the link. Can't wait to visit!

Another Kloset Keto Kharacter koming out of the kloset! LOL I think there are more of us than I'd ever have dreamed.

bcgal00
05-19-2017, 12:19 PM
I had a healthy lifestyle FB page before but gave it up after a few yrs but this week I changed the name to the same as my youtube channel Krazy For Keto and will start posting recipes, info and ideas in there. It's an open page so anyone can join. I've got lots of keto recipes on pinterest too so please feel free to follow my keto/low carb boards.
https://www.pinterest.com/raeclevett/

Vicki - I will check out your's too.

I pinned two good breakfast recipes this morning that are keto and lowish carb if you could net carbs which I am now doing about half the time. I didn't count net carbs for the first 3 mths until my body was totally and completely fat adapted but now I can count net carbs (minus fiber grams) and it's doesn't slow down my weight loss or stall me.

bcgal00
05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
This is what I'm making this wkend. I want to make the crackers and crumble them into a salad or just have a couple on the side with my lunch protein and veggies.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AXs3lzEyGABxXCfx72oRzmNmgr1Nl9_rg4_JLRBBc9RQRVXjIa 98wlw/

taxed4ever
05-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Not sure why but I cannot eat the recipes that call for Coconut flour, seems my body does not like it, I bloat up and I get indigestion Ugh!! So for now I need to just stick to the basics and have to stay away from the substitutes :mmph:

VickiStegall
05-19-2017, 10:15 PM
I'm with you Trudy, I'm allergic to coconut (can have coconut oil but not the milk, water or meat) and I have to steer clear of sugar substitutes due to migraines and/or digestive issues. I do fine with almond flour though.

I'm going to check out all of the links - can't wait to watch your videos Rae! And, I"m going to get one of those whipped cream dispensers!

I'm planning to make this this weekend - http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2015/01/beefy-cheesy-low-carb-green-chile-bake.html?m=1

Tonight, I'm suffering - sugar craving big time.

SharLamb
05-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Vicki, that green chili dish looks awesome.

We were at IKEA today buying furniture for our new guest room. Everyone I saw was obese. I wanted to grab them all by the collar and point them toward Keto. But of course, one can't do that.

Tonight we were at Bible study, and there were several offerings of sugar/carb "goodies." Wasn't even the slightest bit tempting to me. I know that may not always be the case, but it sure felt good tonight. Hope you get over your sugar-craving QUICKLY, Vicki.

Just had an extra salty mug of chicken broth. Soothing to to soul. Tasted like chicken noodle soup, and I didn't miss the noodles.

Good night all.

SharLamb
05-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Woke up feeling dreadful. So glad I have no obligations today. Plan to wallow around in my Keto flu...maybe listen to some podcasts and drink broth.

bcgal00
05-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Shar - I know you said you were not so strict with keto and keeping track. A problem with not tracking your carbs is that you might be consuming too many carbs or too many at one time that is possibly flipping you in and out of ketosis which can make you feel "keto flu". It takes time for your body to become fat-adapted (meaning it fully transitions and your body knows what it needs to do to burn ketones for fuel and run properly). I suggest keeping track of carbs at least at first until you are fully fat-adapted. I track and am glad b/c some days I think I consumed well below 20 carbs and yet when I enter everything into my fitness pal I find out there were extra carbs in the meat and veggies that I wasn't expecting. You should only be feeling the keto flu the first day or two (if at all) and after that its b/c you were kicked out of ketosis.

So, just a suggestion, try tracking for awhile as you learn all the hidden carbs in condiments/meat/spices etc.

By the way, you can eat low carb (more a South Beach, Atkins type of diet) and not have to go into ketosis, eating a bit higher carb to stay in glucose burning mode which gives you more options, more flexibility. The main reason I have to do ketosis is b/c of carb/sugar cravings that won't go away if I glucose burn.

SharLamb
05-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks Rae.

I do have a happy false alarm report:

I must have been salt deprived because of all the heavy, sweat-producing work we did yesterday. A cup of extra salty broth and a thin slice of havarti, and I felt fine on the inside. Took some ibuprofen, and feel better on the outside. I'm BAAAAck! Since neither Dave nor I felt any Keto flu the whole first week, I thought "this must be it" when I woke up feeling so bad.

I too, could not do South Beach or Atkins because of the sugar/carb craving and feeling of deprivation. So far there has been NO craving for sweets or other carbs (a first-in-my-life experience).

Saturday night! This is my plan for dinner: http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/06/30/weekend-bonus-the-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/

VickiStegall
05-20-2017, 10:34 PM
My hubby cooked out for us tonight so I will have meat for several days :)

I gotta say I'm shocked at how many carbs are in smoked sausage which kind of bummed me out because I LOVE it grilled but I had to watch how much of it I ate.

Shar, I'm glad you're feeling better! I have got to get some lite salt and/or chicken bullion because I'm having leg cramps pretty regularly.

SharLamb
05-21-2017, 12:10 AM
Vicki, I'm finding that I have way too much food. I had to freeze some of the ground beef I bought for menus for the 2-week Challenge by the Diet Doctor, and we have so many leftovers every day that I think it will last 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe because I've added some other things, like tonight's pizza. It was AWESOME, by the way. I used pepperoni and mushrooms for the toppings. Dave loved it too. We only ate 1/3 of it. You really can pick it up with your fingers. Dave suggested that the crust would make a great flat bread. He had to ask what was in it, and was surprised.

Nice that you'll have meat for several days, but sorry about the sausage. I don't enjoy sausage, so it's not a sacrifice for me.

Drank a mug of salted chicken broth when my legs started acting like restless leg was coming, and they seemed to have calmed down. Off to bed...church in the morning.

VickiStegall
05-21-2017, 08:41 PM
That's exactly what it feels like for me - like restless leg. What type of chicken broth do you like?

SharLamb
05-21-2017, 09:25 PM
We're just using whatever it is Costco carries in the boxes. I'm planning to try making my own soon.

Dinner tonight was sauteed zucchini noodles (made with Spiralizer), left-over talapia (white fish) from 2 nights ago...included sauteed mushrooms and asparagus. Not my favorite recipe so far, but still VERY good and satisfying. I like my fish just a tad bit undercooked, but followed the recipe, and I think it cooked too long. Got a little dry the first time I served it, and even more so re-heating it tonight.

Anyone have an awesome Keto-friendly ice cream? ...especially one that can be made in the Blendtec or Vitamix?

Twice in the last couple days we have been in social situations and exposed to high-carb foods that we'd ordinarily have just happily scarffed down. Happy to report that neither of us was tempted in the least to indulge. I love this.

Just found out that a friend of ours is doing Keto to control his diabetes. I've been binge-watching lectures documentaries on YouTube discussing the pandemic of obesity. Very scary how much the diseases resulting from obesity drain the economy.

VickiStegall
05-22-2017, 08:31 PM
It crazy when you actually take a look around when you go out in public how much bigger the general population is than 20 years ago. And, I'm right there now too - blech. Which is why I'm now keto. *fingers crossed

my hubby is using it to control his diabetes too.

SharLamb
05-22-2017, 08:42 PM
I've been watching/listening to a fascinating series on why we are obese. It is unbelievable! Lots to say about diabetes. It gets pretty technical and is very long (6 sessions at least an hour long each), but I'm sort of laid up at the moment with a strained knee, so I'm watching them on my iPad. I'm sure your husband would be VERY interested. (Link below)

I made a Keto-friendly "KeyLime" cheesecake for dessert tonight. Sure hope it turns out as good as it looks. But first, left-over pizza. And I'm hungry!
The Aetiology of Obesity by Dr. Jason Fung (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

taxed4ever
05-22-2017, 10:32 PM
Remember Sharron to eat only when you are hungry, not because it is time to eat LOL. My DH has tried to make me eat breakfast, but I have told him if I eat when I am not hungry then I feel yucky!! So he can eat whenever he feels like it, just don't expect me to eat with you! :becky:

SharLamb
05-22-2017, 11:32 PM
YEP! We've been very good about that. The signs are easy to read. I was on Gwen Shamblin's Weigh Down Workshop diet for quite some time, and it relied solely on listening to your stomach, but eating anything you want as long as you stopped when gently full. Problem was, then, I could never tell when I got to that point. With Keto, it's really obvious. If I'm not hungry, food sounds nauseating! Tonight we had our left-over pizza (about 1/3 the recipe divided between us), then a slice of the Key Lime Cheesecake (only half the portion the recipe called for), and were satisfied. Neither of us has craved evening snacks like we ALWAYS have in the past.

Tomorrow night I'm going to make Thai chicken using Miracle Noodles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvUF649l1KQ). I found a Keto-friendly bagged sauce at our Natural Foods store. We've missed Thai and Indian food, but with the Miracle Noodles and Spiralizer, I think they're back.

For lunch today I made awesome chicken, tomato, pepperjack cheese and MAYO sandwiches, the "bread" being lettuce leaves. I put avocado on mine too (Dave doesn't love them, so why waste them on him?? LOL). Next time I will also add bacon bits.

My knee is still very sore tonight, so tomorrow will be another day of binge-watching YouTube and listening to podcasts.

HAGN!

taxed4ever
05-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Sharron you will have to let me know how you like the miracle noodles, I have seen them in the store, but a bit afraid to try them LOL. I hear that they smell bad. http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/gas-mask-smiley.gif?1292867601 I also am on the look out for a spiralizer so I can add zucchini to our menu. Neither of us really like zucchini, other than using it make chocolate cake ( that's not happening) so it might be a great way to introduce another veg. Sorry that your knee is still too sore to get out golfing, hopefully soon, looks to be another gorgeous day out there on our West Coast a great day for golf!!

VickiStegall
05-23-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm interested in the noodles too! What recipe are you using for the chicken part?

I'd love to hear how to use the spiral zucchini noodles as I just bought some already ready to go at target.

bcgal00
05-23-2017, 10:04 AM
I've made spiralized zucchini noodes by sauteing in a pan with garlic, onion, olive oil, butter, salt & pepper and finishing up with shredded parmesan cheese. I've made these with pork chops (cooked in a steel skillet so I had pan drippings to add balsalmic vinegar, beef stock and dijon mustard with a splash of cream) and drizzled the sauce over the veggies and meat.

Vicki Robinson
05-23-2017, 10:08 AM
For what it's worth, I could not find a way to make the Miracle Noodles, palatable - and I tried and tried. They have a distinctive unpleasant odor that many claim disappears after a thorough rinsing. Not only did the odor remain, the noodles turned to mush - and had a most unappealing texture. I tried every trick I could find with no luck. For me, they were a waste of money.

I don't care for zucchini, so I haven't invested in a spiralizer yet.

SharLamb
05-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Go to the link I provided and Kristie will show you how to deal with the noodles. I'll give you a report on how we like them after dinner tonight. I just plan to saute some boneless chicken thighs, then pour in the sauce I found at PCC (our sort of health food grocery store) yesterday. It's all the way in the kitchen, and it is painful to hobble there right now (knee), but I'll try to remember to save the pkg. It is a very low carb Thai sauce. Then I'll pour the chicken/sauce over the noodles, and probably serve some buttered broccoli with it.

I really hope we love the noodles. If we do, I will probably start ordering it from Amazon. I'm especially hoping to add the RICE. So many things we love over rice. I haven't tried the cauliflower rice yet. I like cauliflower, but don't know if I'd like it as a substitute for rice or potatoes.

I have used the spiralized zucchini both raw and sauteed in butter, as a substitute for spaghetti noodles. We too have never liked zucchini for anything but cake, but we're converts. We both loved it with a sauced meat over it. My next experiment with the spiralizer is to "Spicy Jicama Strings." A friend gave me the recipe, and the photo makes them look like skinny french fries. Since jicama doesn't really have much flavor, this sounds like a real possibility. I'll let you know how that turns out.

My knee is better this morning, but still delicate. My day will be spent mostly in the recliner with my leg raised. I'm bored and feeling like a total idiot. Glad I have so many Youtube and podcasts to entertain me. Problem is, that sort of thing makes me sleepy, and I don't want to sleep the day away. What a waste. We've had SUCH horrible weather for 7 months, and today is GORGEOUS. It would have been perfect for our first bike ride of the season. Boohoo.

SharLamb
05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Rae, your zucchini "recipes" sound awesome. I see I have a ways to go before exhausting the possibilities. I don't have the Cooking Gene, and never think outside the box. Thanks for the ideas. My son gave me a steel skillet for Mother's Day, and I just LOVE it. I'd never heard of them before he got one, and he loves his so much he wanted me to have one too. It's a small one, and now, of course, I want a big one too!

Vicki, I'm desolated to hear your Miracle Noodle report. But I have them, so have nothing to lose by trying Kristie's method. I'll let you know how it goes.

VickiStegall
05-23-2017, 03:25 PM
I don't have the cooking gene either but I'm willing to give it a go this time.

Definitely trying Rae'a recipe.

I'm super interested in the jicama strings too!

Glad your knee is somewhat better today, Shar.

bcgal00
05-23-2017, 05:52 PM
I never cared for the noodles. I think our brand was by Shirataki and I couldn't get past the texture, it bugged me. But I'm fine with spiralized veggie noodles. I don't eat many veggies now so don't spiralize much, I use a small bed of greens, spinach or mushrooms to put sauce/cheese over and occasionally will use a little bit of spaghetti squash.

SharLamb
05-23-2017, 06:29 PM
You gals have me nervous about tonight's dinner! Interested that you've cut back on veggies. I was leaning that direction already, but am not mentally to the point of not needing three different things on the plate. LOL

Rae, I hope your hubby is doing better this afternoon.

VickiStegall
05-23-2017, 09:19 PM
I tried the spiralized zucchini tonight and it was delicious, but frankly, I used too much red pepper chili flakes (wasn't paying attention to the recipe lol) and all I could taste was the pepper. But, I still loved it. :)

Shar, I hope your dinner went well!

taxed4ever
05-23-2017, 09:32 PM
ohhh good news Vicki I will look forward to trying the zucchini !!

SharLamb
05-24-2017, 12:15 AM
Glad you loved your zucchini, Vicki. Funny thing for us tonight. Neither of us were feeling hungry when it was "time to start fixing dinner." So we just skipped it. Then an hour or so later, we each had a mug of broth and some cheese. THEN we had a piece of the left-over lime cheesecake! I LOVE this way of eating! Maybe we'll have the Thai chicken tomorrow night. :)

SharLamb
05-24-2017, 06:29 PM
Dinner was wonderful! Baked bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs. While they were baking, I fixed the Miracle Noodles. Never even smelled the fishy aroma I was warned about. Drained them, then returned them to the saucepan and added the Thai sauce plus a tablespoon of peanut butter. Veggies: sauteed cauliflower and mushrooms in butter. Poured the sauce and noodles over the chicken and LOVED every bite. Planning to go to Amazon and order all three versions.

VickiStegall
05-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Yay Shar!!!! That's awesome!

I made chicken salad tonight to have for a quick snack and bleeeeh. I miss the toast way too much to want to eat any more of it.

SharLamb
05-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Knee is still giving me fits. DH is out playing golf on this gorgeous day, and I would have been with him except for the knee. But I've used the time well. Have been reading "Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It" by Gary Taubes. What an awesome book. It has vindicated me in SO MANY WAYS. I've also been binge watching Dr. Stephen Phinney's YouTube videos. AGAIN!!! So much explanation and vindication.

This afternoon I'm making chicken broth IN MY ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER. SO easy. Can't wait to try it. I used the carcass from the Costco chicken Dave got yesterday. All the meat is waiting in the refrigerator to be used in ever so many ways.

Today's main meal is going to be burgers from Red Robin!!!!! Yes! There's a BOGO (or maybe the 2nd is just half off), but we're going to do the Cooking Keto With Kristie method...no bun...no fries...lots of cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. Dave will also have pickles (I don't like them). We'll go as soon as he get home from golf, so it will be a very early dinner.

I'm also going in for my annual non-fasting blood work. That should be interesting. We are Kaiser members, and wish I knew if there was a doctor in my area that subscribes to the Keto way of life. I don't know how to even begin the search. Any ideas?

SharLamb
05-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Vicki, I haven't tried making this to be used just as bread, but it was Dave's idea that I try to do so. It is the crust for Keto pizza, and it is AWESOME. Just leave the Italian herbs out:

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet
Instructions:

-put mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size microwaveable bowl
http://www.fathead-movie.com/images/OlderBrother/OldestSon/cheese.JPG
After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses
-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)
-Stir in egg & almond flour
-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)
-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling
-Sprinkle with garlic salt
-Put in 425 degree oven
-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.
-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.
It should look like this:
http://www.fathead-movie.com/images/OlderBrother/OldestSon/crust.jpg

If you don't have cream cheese, you can use a tablespoon or two of olive oil...maybe add a touch of cream.

taxed4ever
05-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Sharron you are the Keto Queen!! Love your recipe and will defintly have to try it out! I am looking for a low carb recipe for coleslaw dressing, not much luck but I think if I just stick to a simple one with mayo and some mustard and a bit of sweetener I will be ok. No carbs there or very few. Hubby is having pulled pork on a bun tonight, I really need to check the carbs on the pulled pork, but I can always have the left over chicken in the fridge instead. Not very hungry today, so far only had a light brunch, scrambled eggs with cheese and 1/2 an avocado. Sorry that you knee is still giving you trouble! :hug:

SharLamb
05-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Trudy, this is so typical of me...find a new interest and become immersed (obsessed?) in it. I just found out that most commercial mayo is made with soy oil...one of the worst for us. So my next project is to make my own. I used to do that years ago, but got passed my "let's do everything healthy" stage. I'm baaaaaack! LOL

hage

VickiStegall
05-25-2017, 11:58 PM
Shar can I come live with you? You are blowing me away. :)

Good luck with the blood tests. I don't really know how to go about finding a doctor who knows this stuff. But, I would think your numbers will be better. Maybe you can educate your doctor :)

SharLamb
05-26-2017, 12:10 AM
Well, LIVE with me...not so sure THAT would work out, but we've nearly got our new guest room put together! So a visit would be great! LOL

BTW, the chicken broth turned out AWESOME...WAY better than boxed store-bought. Tasted just like a Costco chicken and was super easy. I kept enough out for the next day or two, and froze the rest in 1 C. amounts in little ziplock bags.

Blood tests came back in the normal range (potassium and creatnin). They were normal before. I'm looking forward to the cholesterol test next time....even more, the blood sugar test. I was getting VERY close to diabetes range last time. =:O

SharLamb
05-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Well that does it. We were so full from our SALAD LUNCH that we're not interested in our afternoon mochas! Something's gotta change!

taxed4ever
05-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Last night we had a delicious Bacon, cheeseburger casserole, it was so good! But I woke up in the middle of the night with horrible indigestion WTH I haven't had that for a long time. Perhaps I ate too much? :noidea: Off to find out what it could have been that upset my stomach.

SharLamb
05-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Trudy, did it have pre-shredded cheese in it? I have discovered that most pre-shredded cheese is coated with some kind of carbohydrate powder, such as flour, to make it so it does not stick together. That made me sick. We are about to toss all of our Costco shredded cheese. From now on we will shred our own .

VickiStegall
05-27-2017, 01:06 PM
My husband has told me that this way of eating is definitely helping his blood sugar - he can actually feel the difference, so I'm interested in hearing your results with your blood sugar levels, too Shar. I know I'm really beginning to feel better again too!!!! That's very exciting! Well, except for the crazy sinus congestion I gave myself from switching from non-dairy creamer to heavy cream. Which is a bummer because that heavy cream is so nice lol

I'm also interested in hearing about these afternoon mochas!?!?!

Trudy, could it have just been a stomach bug or was it spicy? Shar might be right on the cheese though. I keep reading about additives to pre-grated cheese. I might have to break out the old food processor.

SharLamb
05-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Afternoon mochas:
Dave does it all. When he is gone, I don't have one because it's too much bother for me. He uses a press to make the "espresso," then adds a bit of unsweetened cocoa with Splenda (we will switch to Stevea when the Splenda is gone). He tried adding whipped cream, but didn't like how thick it seemed, so is back to a splash of 1/2 n 1/2. Then he microwaves it briefly to bring it up to temp after the cream cooled it off. We're not into the froth. We started doing these long ago...long before Keto. I'm wanting to try again with heavy cream with a little water to thin it down. But since he is the one doing the ritual, I'm reluctant to make any suggestions. It has been a dedicated effort with lots of experimenting to come up with something we love.

I've also thought about putting them in the BlendTec with ice cubes to see if we can come up with a summer version. oooooo....just thought....adding some no-cal Torani caramel syrup might be awesome. :)

If you are interested in the actual recipe with proportions of each thing, I'll ask Dave, and post later.

Vicki Robinson
05-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Jumping in here on a few of the posts -

The pizza dough referenced by Shar is known as Fathead pizza crust and is amazing - you can make lots of varieties - "stuffed" ham and cheese; calzones, etc. Just vary the dried herbs/spices as you like.

I'm wondering how you'd feel about a separate thread just for recipes? Reading on, you'll see I have a ton of references for recipes.

The reason I started low carb (two years ago) - not specifically Keto - was that my blood sugar hit 300. My doc said fix it immediately and within 3 months I was back within normal range. I started with Atkins and have gradually moved to my own version. Like some others have posted, I'm not a "keep track" of everything kinda gal. I know myself well enough to know that I just won't do that. However, I've lost 40 lbs - with occasional set backs because I've learned that I'm an emotional eater: when times get tough I seem to open the fridge. One of the things I noticed, and you will too, is that once I took out the carbs and my body adjusted, I started being satisfied with much smaller portions - due somewhat to the increased fat intake. By the way, my cholesterol level also improved eating low carb, which is counter intuitive.

One of the things I learned is to re-define what a meal is. For breakfast, which I used to skip, I might have a few slices of deli ham, a slice of cheese and a couple of tomatoes. In fact, I could eat that combination all day long. Premier Protein drinks have only 2 net carbs and when I feel I need a sweet snack, their chocolate is my go to flavor. Local Costco's have them by the case in several flavors and once I taste tested them, I put them on my regular shopping list.

My other "go to" are one-minute mug microwave recipes - basically single serving cake-ISH delights.

I buy my almond flour at Costco, although I'm moving closer to a big city this summer and may be able to find other brands then. I don't care for the taste of coconut flour, but I'm finding some recipes that work really well with a combination of almond flour and coconut flour. I also use recipes that include whey protein powder and ground flax. They all combine to make a decent texture in baked goods. Coconut flour absorbs a TON of liquid and cannot be substituted measure for measure for either white or almond flour.

I always suggest that new low carbers find a few low carb/keto bloggers that they like and try their recipes. I'm happy to share mine if you're interested. Some have wonderful photos but the resulting concoctions are appalling. I do have some recipes - a pound cake for instance - that use way more eggs and butter than I ever would have used before. But that kind of recipe is really good when I need to bring a dessert for a party or something. I can have a slice without cheating and no one is the wiser.

I use Swerve brand sweetener made from fruits and veg, no artificial ingredients, preservatives or flavors and no bitter aftertaste associated with other natural sweeteners like stevia (although I do use liquid stevia for some recipes). And unlike other sugar alcohols such as xylitol, sorbitol and maltitol there is no digestive intolerance (no laxative effect). Swerve comes in both granular and powdered form. They both measure the same, but I have found that the granular form turns a bit grainy when you use it in baked goods that end up in the fridge. So for those items, I use the powdered.

SharLamb
05-27-2017, 04:17 PM
Oh Vicki! What a treasure-trove you are. I'm anxious to try the Premier Protiein drinks and the Swerve sweeteners. I would love to try some of your recipes...REALLY? POUND CAKE???? WOW. The only one-minute mug microwave "cake" I tried was a big disappointment. If you have a delicious version, I'd like to try it. I will check out your blog. I am overwhelmed at all the low carb recipes out there, and would love to trust someone who has done some testing!

I too, am finding that I need way less food than I ever did. We've virtually cut out lunch...moved Mocha Time to early afternoon, and added a little snack if anything, then still ready to eat dinner early evening. DH still can't get his head around having the main meal at noon, which is where I'd eventually like us to be.

Okay. Dave gave me the details about the mochas he makes for us. I'll put them in a separate posting.

SharLamb
05-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Keto Friendly Mocha

The secret is in using the Aeropress coffee maker (about $30): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=asc_df_B0047BIWSK5003332/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0047BIWSK&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167152462925&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4204179990352782131&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033294&hvtargid=pla-315571604316

Dave has a container to hold the chocolate mix so he doesn't have to measure out both every time:
1 part unsweetened cocoa to
2 parts sugar substitute that measures the same as sugar

Measure a rounded half TABLESPOON (not teaspoon) into a mug.

He prepares the coffee with the following proportions:
1 Aeroscoop of fine ground espresso coffee
2/3 C. hot water

Stir up the water and coffee, then plunge directly into the mug over the cocoa mixture.

Add a half Cup of 1/2 'n' half (or heavy cream which is fewer carbs, or 2% milk, which is more carbs)

Microwave for 1 minute.

I don't know how you would add foam, but of course, you could dispense whipped cream on top if you have a whipped cream dispenser.

The hardest part of this routine is finding a HALF TABLESPOON measuring spoon!

SharLamb
05-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Has anyone tried, or heard testimony from others about Carbquik? It's supposed to be a Keto -friendly product much like Bisquik, but I'm not sold. It has:

"16 total carbs but the dietary fiber is 14 so if you are a carb counter you know you subtract the fiber from the total carbs and you come up with 2 carbs"

It contains: It has Carbalose flour. Its a enzyme enriched wheat flour. Soy fiber. Canola oil. Buttermilk powder baking powder egg white powder

Wheat, soy, and canola are red flags to me.

SharLamb
05-27-2017, 09:39 PM
OMG! I've just been reading about the Zero Carb subculture! Sheesh. I pray the Keto Way of Life will be effective for me, because the thought of eating tiny bits of meat and tons of animal fat (not cream!) does NOT sound appetizing. Putting this idea out of my head unless I'm still fat a year from now!

Vicki Robinson
05-28-2017, 12:02 PM
This product has been around a LONG time. I'm going to be honest with you, to me it tasted awful. AWFUL. I tried it again after I'd been living low carb for about a year, thinking maybe my taste buds had adjusted, but I had wasted my money.

Has anyone tried, or heard testimony from others about Carbquik? It's supposed to be a Keto -friendly product much like Bisquik, but I'm not sold. It has:

"16 total carbs but the dietary fiber is 14 so if you are a carb counter you know you subtract the fiber from the total carbs and you come up with 2 carbs"

It contains: It has Carbalose flour. Its a enzyme enriched wheat flour. Soy fiber. Canola oil. Buttermilk powder baking powder egg white powder

Wheat, soy, and canola are red flags to me.

SharLamb
05-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Thanks Vicki. As with most things in life, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

VickiStegall
05-29-2017, 07:01 PM
That mocha sounds amazing!

I actually forgot to each lunch today because I wasn't hungry. I was feeling a bit weak though, so I think I"m still not fully keto adapted. Which, it's only been 1.5 weeks so that's to be expected.

SharLamb
05-29-2017, 09:54 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2082/9exvpV.jpg
My Silpats came today. Perfect timing to try Fathead pizza crust with the objective of using it for a bread replacement. I may have over baked it. It wasn't that great. We loved it as pizza crust. But it did just slip off the Silpat. I already love them.

I love nearly-raw ahi tuna, but DH prefers it cooked more. So I ended up cooking both of them too much. But mine was about medium and DH liked mine much better than his, which was cooked about a minute longer.

Found another bread recipe to try. Much more work...involving separating eggs and whipping the whites...folding in the other mixed ingredients. I'll let you know how it turns out, and if good, will post the recipe.

Do you remember my Key Lime cheesecake from last week? Well yesterday I made the same recipe, but used sugar-free strawberry Jell-O, and folded in a few sliced strawberries. A little whipped cream on top, and ooo-la-la!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/JLabgk.jpg

Vicki Robinson
05-29-2017, 10:09 PM
Shar, I would try baking the dough on the mat until it's firm, but then flipping it directly onto a cookie sheet, so the other underside gets to crisp up a bit. Then, after a couple of minutes, add your sauce and toppings.

By the way, I made fathead pizza on my gas grill. I rolled the dough out quite thinly on parchment paper and, with my husband's help, flipped it onto the grill. It takes barely a minute or two on each side - crisps like a cracker - then I put it on a cookie sheet, added my toppings and broiled it until the cheese melted.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to replicate pizza - so I aim for "pizza-ish". It's like when I realized the part of spaghetti I love the most is actually the thick meat sauce. So, that's what spaghetti night is in my house now!

SharLamb
05-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Thanks Vicki! Will give it a try. We actually loved the pizza recipe...just not the crust alone as a bread substitute. But I'm going to give your rolls a shot.

bcgal00
05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Something different I'm doing this week is eating a bit of leftover dinner for breakfast. It seems so weird LOL. I am taking antibiotics which requires me to eat in the morning which I don't normally do and I'm not really interested in having eggs. So I am saving a bit of meat/veggie from dinner and having that each morning. I kind of like it :)

Shar - as for the packaged flour, while some may eat it, I wouldn't touch it. I would not eat anything with wheat and try to avoid soy, buttermilk or canola oil. I prefer things made from scratch with nut or coconut flours or flax meal.

bcgal00
05-30-2017, 11:18 AM
BTW Shar....thx for sharing the coffee maker link. I find this so interesting, all the different things to use for coffee drinks. I've never used a coffee press or whipped cream dispenser but am becoming more interested in all these things. Since I don't eat so many other foods or desserts anymore, I am much more focused on enjoying my coffee. Some days I just could not live without my bullet proof coffee :)

SharLamb
05-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Rae, I was sorry to hear about your infection. Glad to know you are on the mend.

taxed4ever
05-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Great thread ladies!! I am going to try Vicki's bagel buns too, they look amazing! Well I tried the Bacon Cheeseburger casserole again last night and no stomach issues, it must have been something else as DH had a queasy stomach all day too the first time we ate it. No problems at all this time so yay it will be one recipe that we will have again for sure, it was so good!

SharLamb
05-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Trudy, which bacon cheeseburger casserole recipe did you use?

Rae, I think it is a great idea to eat left-over dinner food for breakfast. Haven't we all been doing that with pizza for 100 years? LOL

taxed4ever
05-30-2017, 05:01 PM
I used this recipe from Rae's Pinterest Page ... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/199143614755282066/

The only thing I changed was that I added in TexMex shredded cheese from Kraft. Only because I did not have enough cheddar in the house. I though it might give it a little boost in flavour also.

VickiStegall
05-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Hey, Vicki, can you post your pound cake recipe and some of your favorite mug cakes in the recipe thread, please?

SharLamb
05-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Thanks Trudy. I'll be making it tonight. And All I have is Mexican blend cheese, so it will have to do.

SharLamb
05-30-2017, 05:41 PM
Hey, Vicki, can you post your pound cake recipe and some of your favorite mug cakes in the recipe thread, please?

I second that!

SharLamb
05-30-2017, 07:03 PM
We LOVED the bacon cheeseburger casserole. It is almost like shepherd's pie, in that the topping is almost mashed potatoes! YUM! A WINNER

Vicki Robinson
06-03-2017, 01:00 PM
BLT California Style for dinner last nite!

Low Carb tortillas (toasted - Mission Carb Balance brand: 6 net carbs each - I hate all the others)
Bacon
Lettuce
Tomato
Avocado

https://www.oscraps.com/shop/image.php?id=180342&type=D

Vicki Robinson
06-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Breakfast this morning:

Mark Bittman's Crustless Quiche - 4 servings

I don't like scrambled eggs and I rarely eat omelet's but for some reason I LOVE quiche - must be all the cheese! I made a modified version of this (see below), but here's his recipe. I put the recipe (including my modifications) into a nutrition calculator and came up with 2.5 net carbs per serving.

-1 cup cream, half-and-half, milk or a combination, gently heated just until warm
-3 eggs, at room temperature
-¾ cup grated Emmenthal, Gruyère, Cantal or a combination
-¼ cup grated Parmesan or hard pecorino
-½ teaspoon salt
-¼ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
-Butter as needed to grease ramekins/pie plate

Heat oven to 325 degrees and set rack in middle of it.
Combine all ingredients except butter and beat until well blended.
Pour into 4 to 6 buttered ramekins (or a buttered gratin or pie plate) and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until almost firm; it should still jiggle just a little in middle.
Cool on a rack, then serve warm or at room temperature.

My modifications

I used heaving whipping cream because that's what I had and I didn't bother to warm it.
You can use any cheeses you want, so I used a combination of a block of swiss and a block of pepper jack, that I shredded.
I microwaved 5 Brown and Serve Sausage links, patted off some of the grease and the chopped them up and added to the mixture.
I prefer my quiche a little firm, so it ended up being 35 min in a small pie plate.

This came out so well, I know I'll be eating it cold for lunch or dinner tonite. You can add anything you want (sautéed onions, bits of veggies, bacon, bacon and more bacon!!)

SharLamb
06-05-2017, 01:22 AM
I've been away for a few days, mostly in Victoria, B.C. Love that gorgeous city, and we had mostly wonderful weather. Our first time eating out for many meals in a row on Keto. Had we been alone it would have been easier. But we were with two other couples. One of the other men is on a low carb diet, but is more liberal. His wife and the other man eat like lumberjacks! Ironically, she remains small, but he is way overweight. One morning we fixed breakfasti in, using 18 eggs for six people. She got to the eggs first, and took HALF of them before passing the rest around for the 5 of us to share! We felt deprived because we got no sweets for four days. The first thing I did when we got home was to make us each a bowl of strawberries and whipped cream!

Very glad to be back in our own digs. Thought of you, Trudy and Rae. Love Canada. Love home. Glad to visit. Happy to come home!

SharLamb
06-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Woke up hungry this morning, but NOTHING sounded good except my habitual breakfast of the last couple years: a Zone Bar, a banana, and 8 oz. of milk (cannot believe how full of sugar/carbs THAT was)....or an apple fritter from the local donut shop! DH felt that way too. So we settled for a mug of broth.

taxed4ever
06-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Sharon I saw that you were in Victoria, I sure hope that you had a wonderful time in that beautiful city! Hard to keep on track, when others are having all the carbs and sugar. Good for you for sticking to it! Some mornings I am the same and wake up hungry, so you eat and make good choices. I usually can satisfy my sweet craving with some berries. I started making some fat bombs, but found that they stopped the weight loss. I haven't had any for a week now and have lost another 3 pounds. Hooray!! I need to find the recipe for Zucchini noodles as I purchased a spiralizer over the weekend. Looking forward to having a new veggie dish!

SharLamb
06-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Trudy, we adore Victoria...always have. But we learned that it is more fun to do almost anything with just each other--maybe ONE other couple. With 6 people it takes forEVER to get people moving. And deciding on a restaurant???? AAAARRRGGGHHH!. We're not planning to EVER do a group outing like this again (well...with our kids/grandkids, of course we will). Our ferry trip home was kind of rocky-rolly. SO glad we weren't on the Clipper. I was on it once, and everyone on the boat was vomiting! I don't get seasick, but the aroma was so horrible, I almost did that trip!

VickiStegall
06-05-2017, 09:40 PM
That quiche sounds wonderful!

Shar, we've travelled with friends that way and it's rather crazy. We did do a group trip to Cozumel for an Oscraps gathering and that was incredibly fun but we mostly stayed at the resort with just a couple of planned outings.

Tonight I made the green chili casserole - finally! it was ok. It definitely needed "something". It needed more kick. Once I have it perfected, I'll post again about it.

SharLamb
06-05-2017, 09:49 PM
We had Trader Joe's scallops tonight, and they were over the moon good. Rinsed and dried them, sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and Old Bay. Sauteed for about 4 or 5 minutes on each side in a screaming hot skillet with some olive oil and coconut oil. I also made some of the jicama strings tonight using the Spiralizer. Don't remember where I got the recipe, but besides being too spicy, they were AWESOME. I'm just going to hold back a bit on the cayenne and chili powder next time. Seriously, they were so good, I almost felt guilty. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll post it in the Recipe Thread. Most satisfying meal I've had in almost a week!

I made the jell-o cheesecake that we loved when I used lime or strawberry. Used lemon today, and it was terrible. Throwing the rest out.

SharLamb
06-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Tried Bullet Proof coffee this morning for the first time, and did NOT like it even a little bit.

Eggs for lunch? NEVER do that. My fav is just a lettuce wrap that includes some chicken (roasted Costco is best, but deli meat is a good 2nd), pepper jack cheese, avacado, big blob of mayo, a bit of Dijon mustard, and sometimes tomato and a few bits of bacon. I use head lettuce, and when the leaves get too small to hold the innards, I just chop it all up and eat it off the plate. I could eat this every day, but DH likes variety. We'll often have left-overs from the night before.

SharLamb
06-07-2017, 10:23 PM
Tried some low-carb brownies. blerg. All that saved them was immersing them in whipped cream!

But I DID find some other brand of "Miracle Noodles" at Safeway...our regular store. Planning to try the "spaghetti cut" tomorrow night with, well, spaghetti!

nightshadow
06-08-2017, 02:15 AM
Ladies, I have some important questions about this Keto thing. Most of the recipes seem to use huge amounts of saturated fats, pork bacon, butter, heavy cream, full-fat cheeses, etc. In addition to needing to lose a lot of weight, I also have a genetic predisposition to high serum cholesterol and have been taking a Statin for years in order to keep my cholesterol down. In addition to the Statin, it has been my habit to eat primarily low fat/healthy fat items. Do any of you have a cholesterol problem you must manage? If so, how do you manage it while still eating the Keto way?

My medical professional suggested a low carb diet for me because my A1C numbers are not good and my weight is one of the culprits, but as I look at foods, recipes, etc., I'm seeing a great many things which I don't think I should be eating. Caught between a rock and a hard place here.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:eek2:

SharLamb
06-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Elaina, you have asked some very important questions. Sadly, I cannot answer them here, and am not anything close to a doctor, so cannot advise you what to do. But I will share the research I did that brought me to Keto.

My favorite, by far:
Dr. Stephen Phinney--Any of his Youtube videos, and/or his book, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uSv6OgHJE

Gary Taubes. He has Youtube videos, and his book is "Why We Gety Fat and What to do About It." This is similar to Dr. Phinney's book, but may be a bit easier to read. Both get into technicalities that I ended up skimming over, especially because I was already informed after watching their lectures.

The Diet Doctor: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

2 Keto Dudes: http://2ketodudes.com/

Kristie Sullivan: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFGt_87bzlJXHxzvsU8leOQ/videos
Her videos are informative and inspiring. She's not a doctor, just someone who has been successful losing over 100 pounds on Keto. She has recipes (even a book, which I am hoping will be on my doorstep today!).

Casey Durrango: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFGt_87bzlJXHxzvsU8leOQ/videos
Again, not a doctor, rather someone who has succeeded on Keto.

As to your use of statins. I have been on them for years, and as soon as I read this article (and some others in this vein), I ceased taking them:
https://medium.com/@drrosswalker/statin-use-in-older-people-16a000be0634

The reason I quit? There is no science to back up the claim that statins improve cholesterol "numbers," and the possible side effects (of which I was never informed before taking them) are disastrous, especially:
raising blood sugar levels
type 2 diabetes
mental confusion
muscle aches
Here's the entire list:
Common side effects of cholesterol drugs include:

Diarrhea
Constipation
Nausea
Stomach cramps
Muscle soreness, pain, or weakness
Vomiting
Headache
Dizziness
Drowsiness
Fatigue
Problems sleeping
Rash or flushed skin

More Severe Problems

Statins are a common cholesterol medicine, but for some people they can cause severe side effects like muscle damage, dark-colored urine, liver damage, increased blood sugar or type 2 diabetes, and memory loss or confusion. It’s unclear why these issues happen. Your doctor may test your liver while you take statins to see if you’re having liver problems.

Obviously, these risks are not worth taking to me! I'm looking forward to the next blood test to see how my numbers are.

Anyway, again, I am NOT suggesting what YOU should do. But I hope these sources will help you come to a decision.

taxed4ever
06-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Well Sharron I think you have given out the best info you can!! None of us are doctors just people who are loving being Keto and enjoying the health benefits of it!

taxed4ever
06-08-2017, 11:00 AM
I am not a huge fan of the bullet proof coffee either Sharron, but I do enjoy my coffee with the whip cream! Our regular store (SaveOn Foods) has started carrying all kinds of veggies that are made into noodles, I haven't tried any yet, but the butternut squash looks like it might be very yummy! I just hate to buy anything pre-packed now, I am loving just making my own good natural food!

SharLamb
06-08-2017, 11:45 AM
This morning I made waffles that were good enough that I will do them again...maybe thin them down and do pancakes next time. I found a pretty low carb sugar-free maple syrup too (I think 5 or 6 carbs for 1/4 cup, which I don't think I exceeded by much, if anything). The lower I went on the shelf at the grocery store, the lower the carbs were! A nice change from eggs. But it is a from-scratch thing, so won't be doing it often. I'll post it on the recipe thread. They are not crispy, and it takes some practice to get them out of the waffle-maker, but I'm glad I didn't donate my waffle-maker. :)

nightshadow
06-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Sharron,

Thank you for answering, unfortunately for me, I've already checked several of the resources you list and have never found any info on them regarding what the saturated fats do to cholesterol numbers. I knew about the possible side effects of statins, and resisted taking them for years as my cholesterol numbers slowly crept up passing 200 and working their way towards 300. I opted to take the oldest statin on the market because it had been around long enough to be proven. I take "Lovastatin" which is the generic form of "Mevacor" the first approved statin. It was released for use in 1987, and most doctors recommend the newer statins, which are the ones most people have problems with.

I specifically asked for Lovastatin and have been taking it for over ten years with no side effects. My cholesterol is 178 and it stays there (I also watch my diet). I know that Keto isn't the only kind of low carbohydrate diet but I hear a lot about it and it seems to be effective for the users; however, as I said I'm between a rock and a hard place.

If you wouldn't mind, I would greatly appreciate it if you would share your cholesterol numbers when you get your blood work done. Meanwhile, I think I'll continue to keep away from bread, pasta and sugar, but also keep my intake of saturated fat down.

There is no easy answer to this is there?

nightshadow
06-08-2017, 07:26 PM
My apologies, I was wrong. The Diet doctor site is new to me and he does have info regarding cholesterol numbers, so I guess I need to do more research.

I do want to add that I am finding all your experiences and some of the recipes very inspiring...thanks ladies. :)

SharLamb
06-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Glad you found the saturated fat info. I knew it was there, but not sure where. I think Dr. Phinney and Gary Traube address it too. Not sure when my next blood work will be done, but if I remember, I'll share them with you.

VickiStegall
06-08-2017, 09:30 PM
You might also check out Fit Healthy Mama - they talk about fat and cholesterol. I'm pretty sure I read a lot about this on Mark's Daily Apple too. Maybe even some Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser and other Paleo folk thrown in there.

bcgal00
06-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Elaina - many say that cholesterol numbers improve on a keto diet but there is a small subset of people whose cholesterol doesn't improve. I may or may not be one of those people. I had high numbers and the doctor wanted to put me on a statin but I said no. I was only a few weeks into my keto diet and wanted to give it six months to see how my numbers would be after I'd been keto for a longer period of time. We'll see what my numbers are like when I go back in October. Even if still high I am not going on a statin at this point.

As for fat intake, I eat moderate amounts of protein daily, I do eat some bacon and pepperoni but generally eat grass fed, organic meats, eat very little meats with nitrates, I eat organic eggs and eat a lot of greens, avocado, almonds, sunflower seeds, cheese, organic greek yogurt and whipping cream. I use coconut, avocado, red palm and olive oil, and grass-fed organic butter and ghee. That is the bulk of my diet although lately I've been using a bit of coconut or almond flour for a few recipes.

I'm down almost 40 lbs, BP has dropped 30 pts to normal, GERD is gone, painful back and knee joints are greatly improved and I no longer crave foods. So, for me, the high cholesterol won't be enough to make me want to give up keto, if still high in October. I will try to lessen the red meat and tweak my meal plan again if needed but I can't go back to carb burning, it just is way too unhealthy for me.

So that's my story. Thought you'd be interested in hearing from me, as my cholesterol is high too.

bcgal00
06-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Elaina - another option for you to look into if you are concerned about the high fat on the keto diet, would be the paleo diet which is another low carb diet plan. You should research both and then can decide which works best for you.

nightshadow
06-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Thanks ladies for the additional info. Evidently I have to do a lot more research. Whatever I choose will have to be livable for DH also because I'm not about to start preparing two different sets of meals.

On a positive note, in the past month I've cut out all extra sugars (desserts and such) have increased my daily activity a bit, and as of today have dropped 8 pounds.

For me, this is all about getting my A1C and glucose numbers down because I'm pre-diabetic and I don't want it to get any worse.

SharLamb
06-09-2017, 08:56 PM
We had the Miracle Noodles "rice" tonight, and were underwhelmed. The texture was like tapioca pudding. Not buying that version again.

nightshadow
06-10-2017, 06:54 PM
The texture was like tapioca pudding.

Ewww...glad you tried them for us. Thank you for your bravery. ;)

SharLamb
06-10-2017, 07:13 PM
We're having our monthly potluck after church tomorrow, and I'm bringing the BaconCheeseburgerCasserole we tried last week. We just LOVED it, and I am not at all afraid to bring it to a non-Keto function.

taxed4ever
06-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Ya that Bacon cheeseburger recipe was truly great!!

nightshadow
06-11-2017, 01:09 AM
Does the following recipe fit into the Keto plan or is the protein too high? I made this two weeks ago, it was sensational.

http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-pesto-chicken-23425

SharLamb
06-11-2017, 01:37 AM
It looks awesome! I'm going to try it! It's not the protein in a single meal that counts. It's what you eat total each day. And it's a percentage, not a specific number. I'm away from my books and computer now, so I can't give you the suggested percentages, but as I recall, protein is about 25% or less. But for the DAY not per meal. Rae will know, so I hope she pops in to share the suggested percentages.

nightshadow
06-11-2017, 03:45 AM
It looks awesome! I'm going to try it! .

Let me know how you like it, we thought it was wonderful...both of us. :)

VickiStegall
06-11-2017, 10:59 AM
It should be fine. I frequently eat a whole chicken breast at a meal. In fact, I sometimes struggle to get enough protein in.

On the other hand, I have zero issues getting enough carbs in LMAO (because that's what I'm trying to limit :) )

bcgal00
06-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Different keto boards will give you different percentages for fat/protein/carb macros but the general rule of thumb is to eat until satiated. It's pretty hard to overeat protein and fat so listen to your body/mind. If you feel full, stop eating. I usually eat about 4-8 ounces of protein for each meal but not all protein comes from meat (fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, yogurt). Carbs are another story, they don't tell your body/mind you are full so its very easy to overeat those. Here is a general guideline of my macros but it's not steadfast, some days I eat more protein and some days I eat less fat. I find if I don't eat enough fat I feel hungry and start craving a bit so I need to keep my fat high. I eat two meals a day (lunch and dinner) and rarely want to eat in the evening but sometimes will have a snack if I've not eaten much during the day. My daily calories range from 950-1300 but generally are around 1100-1200, rarely hitting 1500. I've only got another 10 lbs to lose so will have to consume a few more calories to maintain and not lose anymore. After the first 25 lbs or so (since mid Feb) I am now losing about 1-2 lbs a week. My sodium macro is my minimum but generally consume higher than that b/c I load up my electrolyte drinks and often consume a cup of chicken broth which is high in sodium.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gFVQmKp/0/df7b6c93/O/i-gFVQmKp.jpg

VickiStegall
06-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Rae, you are an inspiration!

I'm really struggling the last week or two. I think I need to do some serious recipe hunting and find some fun stuff to eat.

SharLamb
06-13-2017, 05:35 PM
We have a rough time when we need a quick snack. I came up with a winner today (although I ate it for lunch while Dave was out golfing): Fry up pepperoni rounds in a hot skillet. When they puff up into little mountains, flip them over and scatter your favorite grated cheese on them and keep cooking until the cheese is melted. Crisp pepperoni is YUMMY. It doesn't take that much cheese either. Before sprinkling the cheese, make sure all the little peeps are close together so you don't lose as much overboard!

We used to melt squares of cheddar on Ritz crackers for a snack. These are WAY better!

taxed4ever
06-13-2017, 06:25 PM
I sometimes fry up some sausage rounds cut up into smaller pieces for breakfast with my eggs and avocado, but this sounds like a wonderful treat!! Thanks Sharon!!

SharLamb
06-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Love your new SKINNY avatar, Trudy...and no Anna Team!!!!! :O Bet you're going to miss HER goodies (no carbs!).

bcgal00
06-13-2017, 07:51 PM
I'll let you all know how it turns out but I'm going to saute fry some halibut, shrimp and cauliflower in spices and butter. I never cook fish although I like to order it in a restaurant. But I'm going to try to find a few recipes to try out at home. I'll come back later and let you all know if I liked it.

nightshadow
06-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Found a low carb recipe for "Potato Salad" using Cauliflower instead of potatoes. Will let you know how it turns out.

bcgal00
06-13-2017, 08:43 PM
Elaina - I make this all the time and I really like it.

taxed4ever
06-13-2017, 09:59 PM
The only time I ever have Halibut is at the Rock Cod Cafe and it is cooked in an awesome batter, not very Keto friendly. I do not do fish too often not a big fan, but I love the Rock Cod's halibut. Looking forward to how your dinner turns out Rae!!

bcgal00
06-13-2017, 10:15 PM
I really liked it and will definitely be making this a few times a month. Here's the pinterest recipe I based mine on.
https://www.pinterest.comhttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/Af5p3q7AqSNSTDW0chg_QYg1JDX6JWSXMx2HJb2bFMX2850hZx s72s4/

I had halibut instead of cod and used parsley, garlic, trader joe's chili lime spice and smoked paprika with a liberal amount of salt & pepper. At the end I put in a few splashes of organic lemon juice as I had no fresh lemon. I steamed chopped up cauliflower til just soft and then put it into the pan with the halibut/shrimp, lemon and butter, stirring to well coat the little cauli chunks. It was ready in about 8 minutes. So good!
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-LKJNCkj/0/4a6b61ab/L/i-LKJNCkj-L.jpg

SharLamb
06-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Looks wonderful, Rae.

We had Kristie Sullivan's Mashed "Potatoes" made with cauliflower tonight, and they were awesome. So full of cheeses and garlic powder, if you did a blind test with someone, they might think there was something different about these potatoes, but I don't think they'd guess it was cauliflower. DH loved them too. We had them with pork tenderloin, and I made a buttery, creamy "gravy" with the drippings from the meat. YUUUUUM.

Vicki Robinson
06-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Low Carb Tacos ... delish!

Recipe's in the Keto/Low Carb recipe thread.

https://www.oscraps.com/shop/image.php?id=182423&type=D

VickiStegall
06-15-2017, 09:34 AM
So, I think my issue is too many nuts, not enough actual veggies and protein. I'm buckling down today. Fingers crossed!

bcgal00
06-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Vicki - veggies probably aren't a problem b/c you really don't need much. Most days I have 1/2 to 1 cup of veggies for the whole day and some days less than that. I take a multivitamin. Nuts for sure you can overdo. I generally don't eat more than 5-15 almonds a day.

taxed4ever
06-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Yes Vicki too many nuts will stall the weight loss for sure!

VickiStegall
06-15-2017, 08:27 PM
some days I'm not getting any veggies at all.... just nuts. (eeeeek)

nightshadow
06-25-2017, 07:49 PM
Found a low carb recipe for "Potato Salad" using Cauliflower instead of potatoes. Will let you know how it turns out.

Had the "Potato Salad" with dinner yesterday...hubby and I both loved it. Next time I'm adding some onion. :)

SharLamb
06-25-2017, 10:48 PM
Glad to see some activity here! I've been gone for 1.5 weeks...road trip to Utah, and a week with the kids. We found restaurants to be no problem when we ate out while on the road, and I did most of the cooking while with my DD. They loved some of the recipes I made, and I bought her a spiralizer, which she's thrill about.

Tonight we had friends over for BBQd Copper River Salmon. I also BBQd mushrooms, and served spiralized jicama, a salad, and for dessert, a strawberry version of the "cheesecake" recipe we love. They had no clue they'd been eating Keto!

While on the road, the habit of munching on Red Vines was really hard to not indulge. But we did good.

Looking forward to trying a cauliflower "potato" salad. Is the recipe posted? I like to use tried and true recipes because many of the recipes out there are not good.

SharLamb
07-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Dave bought some beef bones so I could make beef broth. It was horrible. We each took two sips, choked back gags, and threw the rest out. An hour later, we were still tasting it, and felt like our mouths were coated in thick grease. A little peanut butter was the solution. We CRAVE chicken broth, so will stick to that from now on!

VickiStegall
07-05-2017, 09:06 AM
What do you think made it so bad? I can't stomach drinking either straight but love cooking with them.

SharLamb
07-05-2017, 09:11 AM
No idea, Vicki. Maybe that it seemed very fatty compared to chicken broth? Well, duh. I should have saved it for cooking. I'm a dope.

VickiStegall
07-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Lol next time then :)

SharLamb
07-06-2017, 12:48 AM
Great news for me. Our local Safeway carries grass-fed beef and free-range chicken! We've eaten both, and thy were excellent.

VickiStegall
07-06-2017, 10:01 AM
I just saw this at Sam's too! It's a little expensive though

SharLamb
07-06-2017, 11:19 AM
We just decided that the extra cost of the meat will be absorbed by the medications we won't have to buy in future years because we'll be more healthy! LOL!

VickiStegall
07-06-2017, 11:40 AM
lol that's probably true!

bcgal00
07-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Yes, our Safeway now carries grass fed, antibiotic free meats too.

As for dinner tonight, we are having our Safeway antibiotic free chicken (got an awesome BOGO sale last month and stocked up enough for the next 4-6 months).

I'm going to cut up chicken breasts in chunks, toss in olive oil and seasoned salt blend along with strips of peppers and cauliflower, will bake in oven and then spoon over some warmed up leftover artichoke and parmesan dip, thinned out with a bit of cream.

SharLamb
07-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Sounds yummy. Did you make the artichoke/parm dip yourself?

Hubby does 95% of our grocery shopping and is usually good about sales like that, but I will have to keep him alerted.

We're having left-overs tonight.

bcgal00
07-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Nope, I bought the dip, checking labels and buying one that was 1 carb/tbsp. Some brands were as high as 4 or 5 carbs per tbsp. That really adds up if you eat 2-3 times the calculated serving. I am going to take a pic of the lid so I'll remember when I go back to Safeway again. It's really a good dip. I'll post the name later.

nightshadow
07-07-2017, 01:43 AM
Looking forward to trying a cauliflower "potato" salad. Is the recipe posted? I like to use tried and true recipes because many of the recipes out there are not good.

Sharron, I don't think I posted the link to the original recipe...will hunt it down now...BRB

http://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2015/02/05/cauliflower-potato-salad-low-carb-keto-friendly-vegetarian/

Keep in mind, I tweaked this...I tweak everything :bounce:

If you want my tweaked recipe, let me know and I'll type it out for you.

SharLamb
07-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Thx Elaina. I tweak too!

VickiStegall
07-07-2017, 02:31 PM
That dinner sounds tasty, Rae!

SharLamb
07-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Getting so a 2-egg omelette is too much food. I made one this morning with just one mushroom and a tiny slice of sweet onion sauteed, two eggs, and a sliver of avocado, topped with a dollop of sour cream. Ended up tossing about 1/3 of it! One-egg omelette next?

Have been making my own mayo for a couple weeks. At first I did it in the blender, with the S L O W drizzle of oil. My arm gets so tired doing that. So I was thrilled to find a recipe I can do in seconds with my stick (immersion) blender. You just dump all the oil in at once, and seriously, in a few seconds you have mayo!

Off to Costco to pick out new glasses (frames). When DH was working, I got a new pair of glasses FREE every year (he was an optometrist with Group Health--now Kaiser). Boy have times changes. Benefits have been cut back, and no freebies since he retired. I haven't even had my eyes check in 7 years...used to have it done every year!

HAGD!

nightshadow
07-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Thx Elaina. I tweak too!

Is there another way to cook? LOL

bcgal00
07-12-2017, 08:54 PM
Dinner tonight? What are you having? I'm having a burger topped with homemade coleslaw and pickles with a side salad with vinaigrette...easy peasy.

SharLamb
07-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Fresh, wild-caught king salmon, barbecued to perfection (just a tad bit rare...so still juicy and tender), with a mixed greens salad with homemade dressing. Enough left over for me to have salmon for breakfast tomorrow before playing 18 holes of golf. :)

bcgal00
07-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Oh yum....Sharron...I love salmon.

VickiStegall
07-13-2017, 07:22 PM
I used the spiralizer for the first time tonight! It was so easy, yet I managed to cut myself! How? Well, I didn't realize the cover on one end was actually the "holder" lol so I spun the zucchini by hand instead of using the tool - DUH! Cooked it up in a little ghee, garlic, red pepper flake and Parmesan cheese - DELISH!!!

VickiStegall
07-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Getting so a 2-egg omelette is too much food. I made one this morning with just one mushroom and a tiny slice of sweet onion sauteed, two eggs, and a sliver of avocado, topped with a dollop of sour cream. Ended up tossing about 1/3 of it! One-egg omelette next?

Have been making my own mayo for a couple weeks. At first I did it in the blender, with the S L O W drizzle of oil. My arm gets so tired doing that. So I was thrilled to find a recipe I can do in seconds with my stick (immersion) blender. You just dump all the oil in at once, and seriously, in a few seconds you have mayo!

Off to Costco to pick out new glasses (frames). When DH was working, I got a new pair of glasses FREE every year (he was an optometrist with Group Health--now Kaiser). Boy have times changes. Benefits have been cut back, and no freebies since he retired. I haven't even had my eyes check in 7 years...used to have it done every year!

HAGD!

I need to get some new glasses. I think I'll check into that tomorrow. Well, maybe next week as I have 1 year follow up appointments tomorrow with breast surgeon and oncologist.

SharLamb
07-13-2017, 09:30 PM
Sorry you cut yourself, but the end product sounds yummy. Good thoughts on your appointments.

We ha awesome taco salad for dinner o night--grass-fed beef.

SharLamb
07-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Here's what I posted at "Peace Love and Low Carb Friends" Facebook. Turned out to not be any peace or love. I got SLAMMED:

If you are considering taking probiotic tablets, I hope you will do more research than I did. I listened to one of the Low Carb, book-writing doctors, that PBS sponsors. He highly recommended using probiotics so the gut gets healthy. Since there were no caveats, and it was an OTC pill, I just started taking them. There was no warning about side-effects on the packaging. It said to take 1 to 2 tablets, once or twice a day. We (DH and I) decided to start out conservatively with one tablet once a day. I didn't know it, but DH quit after one dose because he got a bad stomach ache, and attributed it to the probiotic. Wish he'd told me. The misery didn't start for me until about day 5. Then I got horrible cramps, and couldn't be farther than 20 feet from a bathroom for 2 days. At first I thought I was going to die, then was afraid I wouldn't!

I was talking to my daughter-in-law, who is a physician, and she agreed with my suspicion that it was the probiotics. She said you should start with a half dose every other day! That it takes a month to adjust! She used to take them, but when she ran out, failed to get more, and says she doesn't want to go through the pain of the adjustment period again. Wish I'd run this past her BEFORE I started taking them!

Guess where the rest of the jar is!

Back to the Ozone thread: All I can report is MY experience, which coincides with my DIL's experience. Just sayin'.....

nightshadow
07-16-2017, 02:51 AM
Here's what I posted at "Peace Love and Low Carb Friends" Facebook. Turned out to not be any peace or love. I got SLAMMED:

I guess the Facebook group is ill named. Sorry you got slammed Sharron. Personally, I think what you posted should have been considered helpful.

The only time I've ever taken probiotics was when I was prescribed a course of antibiotics because those have the same effect on me that the probiotics had on you, not to mention occasional female problems. The one I took (and I'd have to check my Amazon account for the name) was formulated specifically to prevent antibiotic side effects and it worked well for me. This is all a very individual choice and I don't understand why people should slam you for posting a very logical warning.

It takes all kinds...

SharLamb
07-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Thanks, Elaina. I've since done more research, and it turns out there is no solid SCIENTIFIC evidence that probiotics are helpful to one's health in the way the products (food, beverages, or supplements) claim. Seems to me it is sort of a rising fad, for the most part--that not EVERYONE should be taking it, but rather should be used individually for cases like yours. The heated responses made me suspicious that people were defending their sacred cow, so to speak. But I'm not going to throw gas onto the flame. I made my point--that people should research before jumping into something like this, not just taking the word of a TV doctor. Not that I think they can HURT most people, but I'm not the only one who has suffered because of them...my (voted Top Doc in Seattle every year for the past decade-plus) nationally respected DDIL, for one, and several people at Facebook page who had similar experience to mine; also my DH, to a lesser degree because he stopped as soon as the stomach pain started.

Before I started the KETO way of eating, I did several days of research. Wish I had done the same over probiotic supplements!

VickiStegall
07-17-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry they were ugly to you. It's so easy for people to be cruel online. That's one of the reason I'm so proud of Oscraps - we are so supportive of each other #grouphug

I've had mixed results with pro-biotics. I stopped taking them a while back because they just didn't seem like they were doing anything and they're pretty expensive.

SharLamb
07-17-2017, 08:22 PM
I've read that an alternative is taking a TBS of apple cider vinegar "with mother" every morning. Guess I'm having trouble understanding why anything like this is actually necessary for most people. Seems like a new fad to me...that people led healthy lives for centuries without worrying about probiotic supplements. And yes...Oscraps is an awesome place to be. Very safe!

SharLamb
07-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Rae, I'm crediting you with changing my life...maybe saving it. Here is what I posted on the Peace Love and Low Carbs Friends FB page. Not sure if you go there, so wanted you to see this. Makes me cry thinking about how much better my life has become in just two months:

Non-scale-victory (well, two, actually):

1. Was able to put my socks on by lifting one foot at a time up to my knee rather than taking a deep breath and trying to slide them on with my feet on the floor! Haven't been able to do that for years.

2. Went on a neighborhood walk to see if my hip bursitis had improved. Nearly cried with joy: NO PAIN! I can't remember when I've been able to walk more than 5 or 10 minutes without burning pain in both hips.

All that has changed is being KETO Faithful for 2 months. Quality of life has improved so much. I am also sleeping better most nights, and my acid reflux, which I've been suffering with for 20 years, is GONE!

VickiStegall
07-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Rae, I'm crediting you with changing my life...maybe saving it. Here is what I posted on the Peace Love and Low Carbs Friends FB page. Not sure if you go there, so wanted you to see this. Makes me cry thinking about how much better my life has become in just two months:

Non-scale-victory (well, two, actually):

1. Was able to put my socks on by lifting one foot at a time up to my knee rather than taking a deep breath and trying to slide them on with my feet on the floor! Haven't been able to do that for years.

2. Went on a neighborhood walk to see if my hip bursitis had improved. Nearly cried with joy: NO PAIN! I can't remember when I've been able to walk more than 5 or 10 minutes without burning pain in both hips.

All that has changed is being KETO Faithful for 2 months. Quality of life has improved so much. I am also sleeping better most nights, and my acid reflux, which I've been suffering with for 20 years, is GONE!

That is AMAZING! I"m so happy for you!

SharLamb
07-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Another "First." I had a bite of DH's saurkraut/polish sausage tonight, and liked it!

Katherine B
07-26-2017, 11:23 AM
oOohh, my! Only by accident did I stumble into this thread, and am I glad I did! Reading through all your posts I'd swear I hit the Keto inspiration jackpot! ;P

VickiStegall
07-26-2017, 11:47 AM
oOohh, my! Only by accident did I stumble into this thread, and am I glad I did! Reading through all your posts I'd swear I hit the Keto inspiration jackpot! ;P

Yay! Are you currently doing keto or thinking of starting?

I've fallen off the wagon and need to get back on!

SharLamb
07-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Welcome aboard Katherine.

For dinner tonight, I'm trying something my DDIL made, that was a hit with her family. Pepper-ringed meatloaf! You slice sweet peppers (red, yellow, or orange) into rings that are about 3/4" deep, then put them on a parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet, then fill each ring with your fav Keto-friendly meatloaf. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. I don't have the exact recipe, but this was how she described it. I will keep an eye as it is baking. I'll let y'all know how they turn out.

SharLamb
07-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Well, the pepper-ringed meatloaf has to wait until tomorrow. DH came home from golf late, and I fell asleep on the patio. So instead we had heirloom tomato slices topped with fried pepperoni and melted mozzarella cheese. YUUUUMMMM...the tomato was sooooo good. It was more of a snack than a dinner, but was still satisfying.

SharLamb
07-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Happy find. Stopped at Safeway on the way home from church, and found a fresh fish display in front...fresh, WILD-caught sockeye salmon for $9.99 a pound. Costco often has it at that price, but we have to buy two fillets wrapped together. Safeway had them individually. BBQ salmon for dinner tonight!

VickiStegall
07-30-2017, 07:58 PM
awesome Shar!

I experimented tonight and found that yellow squash from my friend's garden works just as well as zucchini in the spiralizer! It does seem to need to cook a wee bit longer than zucchini does, though.

SharLamb
07-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Good to know, Vicki. I'm hoping NEXT year we will have our own home-grown zucchini. We haven't done any veggie gardening in 30 years, but zucchini seems to do very well in the Puget Sound area. And last week I splurged on a yellow heirloom tomato. OMG! It was SOOOOOO good. I saved the seeds, and hope to grow my own next summer. (This is the year I should have done it. We've had one of the driest, warmest summers ever. Some years it rains all summer!) Most store-bought tomatoes only add color to a salad, certainly not taste!

BTW, tonight's salmon was to die for. Plenty of left-overs for tomorrow (I bought over 2# for the two of us! LOL).

bcgal00
07-31-2017, 07:19 PM
Sharron - I agree, this year on the west coast has been the driest I can remember in years. I don't think I've ever had an heirloom tomato. I grew my own tomatoes yrs ago when I was home to water them on the wkends (now we're away too much in the summertime to take care of them) and miss the more intense flavor. The ones we get from our local produce markets just don't taste the same.