Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > :: Challenges - Current :: > Designer Challenges
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Designer Challenges Here you will find our Designer Spotlight Challenges, and designer based challenges

Old 05-04-2017, 11:47 AM
The O is awesOme
Ozone's Official Oracle

Default NBK Technique Challenge 05/15 - 05/21

Welcome to the NBK Technique Challenge!

In this Challenge we are going to focus on shadows, and creating a kind of 3D looking effect as I created on my example page.

: Dear diary-Stacked paper but I set the sketchbook to black and white, 99 Brushmix, Retrospective Artsy bits, Sometimes brushmix, Randomly brushed no1, Art&Journal Artsy bits, Page Divider Masks 1,Seashore Dreams paper set to Black and White with increased contrast.

Curious how i did it?

As you can see here I extracted the player and made him looking as he came out of the paper. Important for that was the shadow technique. But also the lower parts of him being a sketch and the brushes layered under him contributed to the effect here.
So for this week I want you to try to make a kind of 3D looking effect on your page. Using some shadow, layering, or photo treatment like a sketch as I did on my page! You don’t have to do all 3 of them. Just try to focus on giving some depth in your page.
To help you I have some screenshots of the process while my layout. I work in CS6 but I know this can be done in PSE too.

I have a photo with a solid background so my extraction work is pretty easy. After making a duplicate of the photo (never forget) I select the Magic Wand tool and click on the White. You see it selected a great part of the photo. For the inside white parts of the player I can use the Quick Selection Tool and substract from the selection. There are other ways to do it. Anika showed an extraction in her Challenge too!
Link tutorial Anika
http://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/showt...t=34766&page=2

I copied the extraction to a new layer. I duplicated it because I want to a phototreatment on one layer and have a copy for my shadow making. I made a sketch from the first photo layer. There are many tutorials on the net to find on doing a sketch, and I believe PSE even has it in the Guided or Create section. There are actions and plugins that can do the trick too.

I used a layermask as you can see in the photo to erase the sketch part of the other copy of the photo.

Now you can focus on the shadow. You can make a drop shadow and create a new layer from the shadow Fx in Photoshop. For PSE you can copy your selection and fill it with a dark (brown) color so you have your shadow layer under the extracted photo. I only used a shadow in the top part of the photo for this coming out of the sketch effect.

When you have your shadow on its own layer you can give it a (Gaussian) blur. And then we are going to warp it. Go to the Transform Tool Ctrl T click on the handle to get the options and go to the warp mode. Now you can warp your shadow with the handles dragging them out the way you want to.

Now with the base for the page ready, I wanted to save this for later use on my layout so I made a PNG of this because I wanted to layer all kinds of things under it and a JPEG would have that white background that makes that more difficult.
So from that point you can add your papers, brushes, elements, and build your page up!
I placed the PNG in a new document and layered all my elements for the composition in. I kept in mind here that I wanted to keep the shadow visible and worked the theme Sketch a bit out.

I hope you have enough inspiration to make a page for this Challenge. Here is some eye candy from the Creative Team:

By Heike (LiMa Inspirations)

By Anika

By Trish

Prize: You can win a 4 $ coupon in my Technique Challenge!
Rules:
• Make a layout with : a kind of 3D looking effect on your page. Using some shadow, layering, or photo treatment (or all techniques together) to achieve this effect.
• Layouts needs to contain some NBK Design products.
• Layouts need to be uploaded to NBK GALLERY by Sunday 21 May 2017 11.59 pm CST time.
• Layouts need to be linked back to this thread by Sunday 21 May 2017 11.59 pm CST time.
Have fun!!!!

Last edited by margje; 07-08-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Occasionally passes by

This Challenge is so great, thank you Marianne

I Used this mega gorgeous Collection" Intuitive "by NBK-Design
https://www.oscraps.com/shop/Intuiti...ne-Bundle.html
Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Official Occupant

Thank you so much for this fantastic tutorial, Marianne

my page
Old 05-16-2017, 02:30 AM
The O is awesOme
Ozone's Official Oracle

You are welcome! happy you like it! Thanks for the beautiful pages!!!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:03 AM
Marie-Claire

Occasionally logs off

Really a great tutorial ! i am happy who this come out, from my very dark and bad start photo !

Marie-Claire aka Clin d'oeil | My Blog | My O'Gallery | My Pinterest | My Facebook
Old 05-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Ozone's Official Praise Mama

Beautiful challenge

Old 05-17-2017, 02:46 AM

Here's mine

Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 AM
The O is awesOme
Ozone's Official Oracle

Awesome pages! love them! Thanks for playing!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Marie-Claire

Occasionally logs off

So beautiful pages so far : i am sure we will see only great pages in this challenge !

Marie-Claire aka Clin d'oeil | My Blog | My O'Gallery | My Pinterest | My Facebook
Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Wow! Great challenge and pages!!!!!