Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > The Hidden Attic > Archived Challenges > Creative Techniques Challenge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 AM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O
Ozone's Official Praise Queen

Default {CLOSED- WINNER ANNOUNCED} May 2010 - Creative Techniques Challenge

HELLO and welcome to this month's Creative Techniques Challenge.
Tell me, do you have photos that you really want to use but the backgrounds on them are just yuk!

Well I have a technique to show today using Photoshop Elements. Photoshop users will be able to do this as well, but I am not sure about PSP users, as I don't think your program supports masks?? By all means if you can it do please pop in and tell us in this thread and share your discoveries!!!

For this technique we are utilising the functions of Masking. Now Elements does not support Masking layers as such but there are some great work arounds. In this challenge we are using one of the Adjustment layers as a masking tool. Of course you can also create a masking layer by using an action, Coffeeshop actions has a great one and its free!!

You might already have a way of changing the backgrounds on your photos, there are several different methods and for this month's challenge I am just showing you one of them. I will be discussing using masks in more depth at a later stage, consider this our first foray into the world of masks!

Remember to stop by Amanda's tutorials, there is a wealth of information there on all sorts of things. Well worth having a look! AMANDA'S TUTORIALS

THIS MONTH'S DESIGNER SPONSOR:
HOW EXCITING is this! Christina Renee is our sponsored designer this month and wow, wouldn't you like to have $5 to spend in her store!!! CHECK OUT HER STORE HERE!!! There is no harm in putting together a wishlist!!!

Okay, so let's get on with the show!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 AM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

CHALLENGE RULES:
- Scrap about anything you like!!
- Need to have at least 1 photo that you changed the background on! (Forgot to put this one in originally - duh!!! )
- You need to use at least 80% of Oscraps designer products - check out their FREEBIES!! (note: Freebies from Oscrap members do not qualify)
- An ADDED BONUS, use two products from Christina's store and I will enter you a second time for the draw eg. 1 LO using 2 products by Christina = 2 chances of winning! (make sure to list your credits when posting LO in the gallery)
- Make sure to load your LO into the Creative Techniques Challenge Gallery and then link your LO to this thread.(Only LO's that are linked in this thread are eligible to enter the draw)
- Challenge closes at midnight (CST) Monday 31 May 2010

Last edited by wombat146; 05-02-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 AM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

HERE IS A SHORT TUTORIAL

Last edited by wombat146; 05-02-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 AM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

HERE IS THE FINAL LAYOUT:

LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING WHAT YOU ALL COME UP WITH!!!!

Last edited by helenh; 05-02-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 AM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

I am not a hundred percent happy with the size of the text on the tutorial! Please let me know if you have problems reading it, if need be I can PM you a text file.

I have re-done the tutorial and bumped the font size up so hopefully everyone should now be able to read it more easily!

Last edited by wombat146; 05-02-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Ozone's Official Oracle

Awesome tutorial, Ona, thank you. Can't wait to try this technique.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:36 AM
O'chOir extraOrdinaire
Ozone's Official Oracle

Oh Ona ... perfect subject matter ... I don't use masking layers very often (bit scary looking!) ... but I've got plenty of photos with distracting backgrounds and masking them is definitely something I'll have another go at for this challenge!

creating for
:♥: My Little Happy Box :♥: One Little Bird :♥: Paislee Press :♥:Ange Designs :♥:
Old 05-02-2010, 06:05 AM
O is my home!

Hi Ona
you must have been reading my mind 'cos this is just what I have been playing with recently - I actually did this yesterday - then saw this challenge today
starting point

to this

to this LO

Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Ozone's Official Praise Mama

Ohhh Fabulous Zoe!!!!

and what a great challenge and lesson Ona!!! This is wonderful!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Ozone's Official Praise Mama

Awesome tutorial (again!) Ona and I do hope to participate this month....
love it were learning more on masks!

Zoe, stunning background change