Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > The Hidden Attic > Archived Challenges > Creative Techniques Challenge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O
Ozone's Official Praise Queen

Talking March 2010 - Creative Techniques Challenge {closed - winner announced} - Textures!!

Hello and welcome to March's Creative Techniques Challenge!

For those that don't know, Oscraps celebrates its fabulous FOURTH BIRTHDAY this month!!! Of course there will be lots of suprises and goodies to be won this month so make sure you stay tuned in!! To help celebrate Oscraps birthday the challenge this month will have a birthday flavour to it!!

This month we are looking at TEXTURES and how you can use them to add interest to your photos or layouts.

A texture file can be either a .jpg or .png file. Virtually anything can be used as a texture file; a photo of some texture ie. rock face, material or another photo, digi scrap paper, an element etc.

Typically you place the texture file above your photo (or layout) and play with the blending modes and opacity. You will find that certain features work best with certain photos! Like last month, this challenge is all about EXPERIMENTING, trying new things and sharing with one another our results! There are also Overlay files that can be used similiar to texture files, once again these can be changed by playing with the blending modes and/or opacity. In the next post you find the challenge and a short tutorial to get you going!

I am so happy to tell you that this month's $5 gift coupon has been donated by our very own talented and creative Oscrap designer
** Emily Powers **

Emily's latest product Photology2 is in the store and fits in wonderfully with this month's challenge. If you haven't already seen these fabulous products then go and check them out here!!

Please remember: I use PSE Version 7 so all functionality and features will be in reference to this program. For Photoshop users these may be similiar and for PSP users, once again you may be able to do everything I talk about but they will be called something else in that particular program. As in last month's challenge, the sharing of knowledge and information throughout the challenge was really inspiring - I think it really helped a lot people to try different things which in turn has expanded their creative techniques!!

Last edited by wombat146; 03-26-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:48 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

CHALLENGE DETAILS:

PART ONE: (OPTIONAL)
Take a photo of your own texture!!
This is really so much fun! Take a closer look at what surrounds you, inside and out. I often go for a little stroll and take close up photos of things like, rock faces, tree bark, puddles of muddy water, a leaf, perhaps a favourite piece of material - get the drift?! Using the Macro function on your camera works a treat if you have it. If not just photograph as close as you can get, then again some long distance photos eg sky and clouds, will also work!

When you download the photos onto your PC, make sure to resize your photo to 300dpi and perhaps to a smaller size, I tend to decrease the longest side of the photo to 10" and the width will change automatically to keep the correct ration - see below

Save the resized file - perhaps you could create a folder specifically to hold your texture files/photos.

PART TWO:
(NEED TO COMPLETE THIS ONE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR EMILY'S $5 COUPON TO HER STORE!!! )

- Create a layout using one (or more) textures
- The theme for this challenge is BIRTHDAYS!!! So come on! Dig out all of those birthday photos!!
- You need to use AT LEAST 80% of Oscrap goodies - THIS IS REALLY MPORTANT TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE GIFT COUPON
- Make sure to give due credit for the textures you use (plus WE want to know so we can get them too!!)
- Post your LO in the CREATIVE TECHNIQUES gallery and leave a link in this thread by midnight Wednesday March 31st - EST time
- A $5 gift coupon to Emily Powers Designs store will be given to someone selected by Mr Random at the conclusion of the challenge!!

SO! ARE YOU READY!!! THEN LET'S GO!!!

EXAMPLES & SHORT TUTORIAL:
Just to get you started here are some examples I have been playing with of late.

I used the texture file called Sleet from the NEW Photology2 series by Emily Powers Designs.

Here is another example using a texture file that I created.

1. I took a photo of a muddy pool of water with the sun reflecting in it.
2. After loading onto my PC I changed the resolution to 300dpi.
3. Then I placed it on the layer above the photo and changed the layer blending mode to Colour Dodge at 100% Opacity.
4. It still needed 'something' so I then duplicated the texture layer and changed the layer blending mode to Overlay at 100% opacity.
5. Using the eraser at around 54% opacity I gently erased both texture files around Gracies eyes and nose as I wanted these features to stand out a little bit more. I especially like the colours around the edges of the picture and the highlights in her hair.

Well I have chatted on enough! Now it is your turn to have a play! I am so looking forward to seeing what creative ideas you come up with!!!

Last edited by wombat146; 03-01-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

Here are the two LO's I created from the examples above:

and number two:

Old 02-28-2010, 10:51 PM

YAY! Ona this is fabulous!

I just used Emily's textured photo overlays! THEY ARE AMAZING!

Here are my results:

Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

THANKS HELEN!! That LO is just gorgeous!!

Here is one from Petey111 (Sara):

Here's my pic. I'm going to scrap a page about Midwest storms/tornadoes. I had fun with this. =) Thanks Ona!

Last edited by wombat146; 02-28-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O

ALL LINKS:

MOVED TO TO HERE:

http://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15939

Last edited by wombat146; 03-01-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Ozone's Official Oracle

March 32st, eh?!

Only kidding, Ona. What a fantastic challenge - I just love this section for expanding our knowledge. I've just started playing with textures myself and am amazed by the wonderful effects they can have. Can't wait to play.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 AM
O'chOir extraOrdinaire
Ozone's Official Oracle

I love that you decide to add an extra day, kinda like a leap year but in March instead of Feb (... I could've done with it last month to make my goal in the posting challenge forum ... but that's a whole other thread!). !

Seriously though ... fabulous challenge this month Ona and another fanastic mini-tutorial. Love it!!!

creating for
:♥: My Little Happy Box :♥: One Little Bird :♥: Paislee Press :♥:Ange Designs :♥:
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 AM
O is my home!

[quote=wombat146;212281]ALL LINKS:
I thought we could use this post for all of us to post links to various texture sites.

Just click the Edit button to paste your link here. If we keep this post updated we will be able to find them at lot easier.
Put your name here too, like I have so we can ask that person questions if we need to about the site/and or textures. I'll start the ball rolling:

Ona - no edit button showing - can 'quote' - but not edit!!

there'e some fabulous textures out there:

try flickr
this site: http://cgtextures.com/
and this: http://www.fudgegraphics.com/2009/04...ulae-textures/
and http://lostandtaken.com/blog/2009/7/...-textures.html
and: http://shadowhousecreations.blogspot...2-example.html

Zoe, I have moved these links over to the other thread!! Thanks sweetie!!! I am supposed to be working but no doubt will HAVE to go and check them out!!

but most fun is taking your own

Last edited by wombat146; 03-01-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 AM

Great challenge !
And your example is beautiful and very clear !
I'll have to play !

I scrapped for : OSCRAPS - Ange designs