Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > :: Challenge Me :: > Designer Challenges
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Designer Challenges Here you will find our Designer Spotlight Challenges, and designer based challenges

Old 01-02-2017, 07:24 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O
Ozone's Official Praise Queen

Default *closed* NBK Design: JAN'17 Showcase Challenge with SALE 9 Jan - 15 Jan 2017

Hello everyone, welcome to NBK's first Showcase Challenge for 2017 with a 50% Sale off artGRAPHICS PRODUCTS

Hope you all have a fabulous, safe and healthy new year!! xx

The Showcase Product Challenge for January will focus on artGRAPHICS and suggestions on how to use them on your layouts.

What the heck are artGRAPHICS I hear you say? Well in some collections Nicole has named them artPAINTS or artSTROKES but I will stick with artGRAPHICS so make it easier. Basically these are hand drawn graphical type lines and shapes that Nicole that created, these are some of the products I am talking about:

These type of hand drawn lines and shapes can be used in a variety of ways, for instance they can be used to accentuate your page, to create a photo or page border or to create a background, just to name a few.

For this month's challenge and tutorial we will look at the last option I just mentioned, using artGRAPHICS to create an interesting background on your layout.

First, let me share my completed page with you:

Credits: Sometimes artGRAPHICS | Winter Blues {Megabundle Storybook Templates | *Products available individually as well!

These are the steps I took to create this page:
  1. Using the artSTROKES from the Sometimes Collection I selected a few graphic lines and moved them all onto my blank white page.
  2. Next I kept moving the graphic lines around the page, forming some rectangular and square type shapes.
  3. As I did this I had the idea that I could 'fill' up some of the square and rectangular shapes with various papers.

4. When I was happy with the overall shape I merged all of the graphic line layers together.
  5. Next I selected a mask from the Winter Blues Out of Bounds mask frames. I only wanted the two masks and merged them together which I then moved over and placed above the graphic lines shape. I moved it around until I found the right spot (think rule of thirds and the best position for a photo).
  6. I chose this photo of a chair lift as the cable lines fitted in with the graphical lines concept and clipped this to the mask.
  7. My next step was to select a colour for my background. I wanted to keep the background a neutral colour so combined two papers from the Winter Blues collection.
  8. Now I used my Polygonal lasso tool and roughly drew some shapes (on separate layers) inside the shapes already formed where the graphic lines had intersected. I then filled each drawn shape with the foreground colour, effectively creating a series of small clipping masks. I did this roughly as I didn't want anything formal.
  9. Next I selected some of the Winter Blues mixed media papers to clip to each of the masks I had created in the last step.

10. At this stage I decided to change the black outline of the graphic lines to white as the black was standing out too much. I still wanted the photo to be my focal point.
  11. I then placed some Artsy Bits & Pieces overlays on top of the graphic line shape to soften it a bit. Most of them are behind the photo mask but I placed one just over the bottom of the photo mask to blend the photo in a bit more.
  12. The background still needed something so I used an artGRAPHIC from the Beyond the Sea collection, masked out all the rest of the lines except for the right hand side and positioned it to the right of the photo. I used one of darker mixed media papers to clip to this graphic line as I didn't want a flat colour.
  13. I finished off with some magic lights behind the photo mask, the snowflake, flower overlay and the wordart above the photo layer.
  14. Done!

Remember that this is just one way of using artGRAPHICS in your work, my suggestion is to play around with them and experiment to see what you come up with.

As always Nicole's CT members come up with some pretty inspirational layouts, here are a couple:

From Kerstin:

Credits: New Beginning {Paper-Set: Solids and Exposure Papers} | New Beginning {Paperset: Mixed Media} | New Beginning {Artsy Bits & Pieces No1} | New Beginning {Artsy Bits & Pieces No2} | New Beginning {Magic Lights} | Sometimes... {artGraphics} | Make a Wish {artGraphics} | Stock photo

From Marianne:

Credits: Winter Blues {Paperset: Woods} | Winter Blues {Artsy Bits & Pieces No1} | Winter Blues {Artsy Bits & Pieces No2} | Winter Blues {Painterstoolbox: Glam Styles} | Winter Blues {Overlays} | Make a Wish {artGraphics} | Make a Wish {Paperset: Mixed Media} | Make a Wish {Artsy Bits & Pieces}

From Astrid:

Credits: FOCUS {artPaints} | Springbreak {Artsy Bits & Papers - Kit} | Springbreak {Page Dividers} | Springbreak {Magic Lights}

Prizes:
One lucky person will win a $4 coupon to NBK Design store.

Rules:
Scrap a page on any subject, use at least 5 of the artGRAPHICS lines to create a background of some sort..
• Layout needs to contain some NBK Design products.
• Layouts need to be uploaded to NBK GALLERY by Sunday 15 January 2017 11.59 pm CST time.
• Layouts need to be linked back to this thread by Sunday 15 January 2017 11.59 pm CST time.

Last edited by AnikA68; 01-16-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Obviously Obsessed!

What a great challenge! I never really noticed these in the store before. Here's one from me:

Old 01-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Marie-Claire
Official Occupant

My participation to the challenge ..

Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Obviously Obsessed!

Great Challenge! Off to play!

Old 01-09-2017, 01:06 PM
The O is awesOme
Ozone's Official Oracle

My page:
Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Sharron
Ozone's Official Praise Mama

http://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/sho...ments&cat=1601
Old 01-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Official Occupant

Not quite sure I know what I'm doing here as this is all new to me, but I gave it a shot. I could get to like this!!!!

http://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/sho...wcase&cat=1601
Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 PM
TrishD
Official Occupant

Here's mine using Art Graphics. Ona has made it so easy to use these graphic lines in her tutorial. Thanks so much Ona

http://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/sho...n-2017&cat=500
Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Sharron

http://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/sho...oison&cat=1601
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Great challenge and tutorial, Ona!!!
And stunning pages, girls!
Here is mine.