Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > :: Challenges - Current :: > Designer Challenges
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Designer Challenges Here you will find our Designer Spotlight Challenges, and designer based challenges

Old 12-04-2016, 04:53 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O
Ozone's Official Praise Queen

Default *closed* NBK Design: DECEMBER Showcase Challenge with SALE 12 DEC - 18 DEC 2016

Hello everyone, welcome to NBK's December Showcase Challenge with a 50% Sale off selected CHRISTMAS PRODUCTS

The Showcase Product Challenge for December will focus on Selected Christmas Products in conjunction with some Photo editing!

Can you believe that it is just about Christmas AND the end of the year! Don't know about you but it's gone way too fast! It feels like it should only be around July!!!!! !

Okay, onto our challenge! This month I am keeping it easy as I know we will all be pretty busy with one thing or another so I put together a very easy and short tutorial on the process I often use when I want to change the look of my photo in some way, using a paper. It could be that you want to lighten the photo without using the Levels tool, or apply a texture to it, or perhaps the colour of the photo just doesn't work with the paper you want to use. The following technique may just come in handy and it forms the basis for our challenge.

First, let me share my page with you:

Credits: December 2015 Bundle (*Products are available separately as well)

While the stock photo (below) was a pretty good match for the colour tones in the paper, I felt it needed a bit more colour tone and light, without actually changing the colours too dramatically.

Editing a Photo Using a Paper(s)

1 - Prepare you photo first if you need to, ie using the Levels or Curve tools. Remember that each photo is different. I didn't bother with this step as I was going to use a paper to lighten the photo.
2 - Use the select tool to select a part of the background paper (or another paper) and use CTRL+J, or Copy and Paste to put the selection on a new layer. Make sure this copied layer is sitting above the photo layer. Clip the paper layer to the photo layer. Now play around with the blend modes on the paper layer. For my photo, after playing around for a bit, I ended up using the Opacity blend mode at 57%, which in effect lightened my photo. (Note: You can use any paper to make this selection, does not need to be the one you are going to use in this page. For instance, you may just want to add some texture to the photo from one paper to place onto another background paper.)
3 - Duplicate this layer and again, play with the blend modes. I applied a Multiply blend mode at 68% to darken the colour a bit.

Keep adding duplicated layers until you are happy with the result......you can even introduce another paper at this stage if you want to.

As I went on to scrap the page I found the photo was a little bit too dark and so I duplicated the photo and applied the Screen blend mode to it using 30% opacity. It helps to sometimes walk away from your layout and come back to it later, your first glance will soon let you know if something needs to be changed out, which is what happened to me.

Each photo is different however so you really do need to play around and try out different blending combinations and don't forget you can add a mask if the blending is standing out too much in one part of the photo. Add another duplicated layer if you need to, just keep experimenting!

**For this challenge I want you to create a layout using Christmas products, with at least one photo, using the process outlined above. The photo needs to be in a frame of some sort, it can not be just blended into the background paper. You can use any type of frame or leave it border-less if you would prefer. A frame with an out of bounds mask attached to it is acceptable as well. You can scrap about anything you like, especially if you don't celebrate Christmas, but you do need to use Christmas products............. you will find there are plenty of products that can be used for any type of layout.

When you post your layout here in the challenge thread, please tell me what you ended up doing on the photo, did you want to lighten it or add some texture or did you want to add colour.

As always here is some inspiration from the NBK CT:

From Marianne: "I used some Artistic filters on the photo. In a new document I clipped the photo to an ornament. A copy of the photo was clipped to a second ornament. I placed the frame. I placed a red exposure paper over the photo. It was set to Overlay Blend mode on 30% opacity to give the soft red glow over the photo. I placed the background paper. I layered some paint and gesso. I made the hangers with the Scribbled Bits & Pieces and some elements. I placed the squares in the background and placed the Felt Bits & Pieces. I cut and pasted the stars and placed them. I placed the title."

Credits: December {Word Arts} | December {Paper-Set: Solids & Exposure Papers} | December {Scribbled Bits & Pieces} | December {Paper-Set: Pattern} | December {Felt Bits & Pieces} | December {Artsy Bits & Pieces}

From Jane: "I used one of the pink papers to blend into the photo and warm lighting in all of them. The angel png was extracted from the ornament with the quick selection tool, then a sketch filter run on it."

Credits: December 2015 Bundle (*Products are available separately as well) | This is Christmas

From Anika: "I clipped a wooden paper to the photo and added some gessos with various blend modes."

Credits: Christmastime & Wintertale | Transformed Frames No1 | Picture from depositphotos

Prizes:
One lucky person will win a $5 coupon to NBK Design store.
PLUS one of 5 person with the most layouts in a month will go into the draw for a MONTHLY $10 coupon.

Rules:
Scrap a page using (1) Christmas products (2) with at least ONE PHOTO that has been processed using the steps shown in the tutorial above. **Refer to the information above in blue to explain the rules further. ALSO please tell me in your post what you did to the photo, did you want to add colour to it, or did you want to give it more texture or ??? .
• Layout needs to contain 75% of NBK Design products.
• Layouts need to be uploaded to NBK GALLERY by Sunday 18 December 2016 11.59 pm CST time.
• Layouts need to be linked back to this thread by Sunday 18 December 2016 11.59 pm CST time.

Last edited by AnikA68; 12-19-2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:17 PM
TrishD
Official Occupant

I used the beautiful Christmas Baubles from Be Merry Be Bright http://www.oscraps.com/shop/Be-Merry...le-weekly.html

http://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/sho...right&cat=1601
Old 12-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Obviously Obsessed!

Fun challenge Ona. My photos were all slightly different tints to start but the technique really evened out the lighting.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Sharron
Ozone's Official Praise Mama

Trish! Congrats on the well-deserved GSO. Gorgeous page.
My Facebook
Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM
The O is awesOme
Ozone's Official Oracle

Awesome Challenge!

Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Outta This World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishD View Post
I used the beautiful Christmas Baubles from Be Merry Be Bright http://www.oscraps.com/shop/Be-Merry...le-weekly.html
Trish - you should win on the basis of the beauty of this layout alone - absolutely gorgeous!!!
Save
My Gallery
My Blog
Old 12-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Sharron
Ozone's Official Praise Mama

I am struggling to make layouts right now because I'm migrating from my PC to a Mac, and from PSE Organizer to Lightroom. My supplies are not easy to find at the moment! But I've missed not participating in challenges for a few weeks, and decided to use these pretty photos from my DS's deck to join the party!

I used the Darken blend mode on the framed photo so it would blend into the bauble. I used a paper (Craftiness-Happiness) in Darken mode over the background photo to soften and re-color it.
http://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/sho...massy&cat=1601
My Facebook
Old 12-12-2016, 07:12 PM
..aka Ona & lovin' the O
Ozone's Official Praise Queen

Oh wow! what a great page Sharron! yes, have missed you!! and wow! when you change things up you do it all at once! lol! Hope you work it all out soon!! xx
Old 12-13-2016, 02:31 AM
Outta This World!

Default Orchid in winter

ORCHID IN WINTER

Elements from Anna Aspnes (Santa Nicholas) and NBK Design (Be Merry Be Bright, Winter Tale, & PL2015 December Magic Lights).

The first photo is lightened by a paper overlay; I used a filter on the second photo (rough pastels) & played with sliders until I was happy – I wanted it to resemble the background; and the third photo has both under- and overlays to sparkle it up. I also used a paper to lighten the background.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:01 AM
I love the "O"

Off The Hook

very beautiful pages

my gallery