Home     Shop     Blog     Forum     Gallery       Tutorials     Contact Us      
Forum :: Oscraps.com Facebook Twitter

Go Back   Forum :: Oscraps.com > The Hidden Attic > Archived Events > December Advent Celebration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Off The Hook

I don't bake cookies any more as they are so not good for us, but I used to make an assortment at Christmas. I don't know that I had a favorite, but one seemed rather unique to me. I didn't often make them as they require a supply of sesame seeds and egg yolks - but no whites. Makes me nostalgic thinking of them.

SESAME SEED COOKIES

2 cups unsifted flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup sesame seeds

1. Preheat oven to 375*F. Grease cookie sheet.
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into bowl. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add egg yolks, milk and vanilla; with fork mix just until dough holds together. Knead several times, or until smooth.
4. For each cookie, shape rounded tablespoonful of dough into an oval, to resemble little loaf of bread. Roll in sesame seeds, coating completely. Place on greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until brown. Let cool on wire rack. Makes 2 1/2 dozen.

I got it from a magazine, but didn't record which one.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Jenn Howland :)

I realize I am late in posting a recipe...I am so sorry! My two oldest just turned 19 and 18 on the 12th and 15th, and life has been crazy busy with school stuff for my 8 year old (I am room mom)...plus I have been sick on top of it all...so fun...NOT! lol

Anyhoodle, this is a recipe that my mom always made at Christmas time...

Orange Cookies from Favorite Cookie Cookbook (1952)

1/4 c. margarine
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
Grated rind of 1/2 an orange
1 egg white, beaten
4 egg yolks, beaten
2 Tblsp. orange juice
1/2 c. chopped almonds
2 1/2 c. sifted flour
1/4 c. sugar

Cream together sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add orange rind, yolks, and orange juice; mix thoroughly. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix well; chill 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Roll dough out on a lightly floured board to 1/8 inch thickness; cut in desired shapes. Brush with egg whites. Combine almonds and sugar, and sprinkle onto cookies. Place on a greased baking sheet, and bake at 375 degrees for 7 or 8 minutes.